Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, May 12, 2024

May 12, 2024


Mother, Daddy at their 50th wedding anniversary
with their grandchildren
May 12, 2024
Mothers Day
Today is the same as any other day except I have thought about my precious mother many times. My brother wrote a poem for her about her. It was so loving and sweet. He was not a child at the time, but a grown, married man with children. He wrote songs but I had not known he wrote poems. It meant so much to her. Our family did not show emotion or express love openly, but his poem was humorous as well as loving.
I wish I could post it here, but maybe another time.

Ann Lamott wrote her opinion of this holiday and she doesn't like it. It is a sad day for many people and for years I felt sad on Mother's Day. I stopped going to church on this day each year because I felt so bad when all the mothers were asked to stand and I was not among them. That was when I was much younger. Today I don't feel that way. Today I celebrate in my heart the most wonderful mother anyone could have and think of how she loved me and kept me safe when despair overcame me, when I lost faith in myself or when I needed someone to talk with about my future, someone who always had my back. I missed her most when Barry died. But she was already buried in the cemetery on the hill. 


My mother as a young woman





1 comment:

  1. A lovely remembrance of someone who remains important to you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.