Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, April 26, 2024

Moving on but slowly

LEXIE misses her sofa. I gave it away. No room in the apartment.


Last week, Gay and I went up to NC to the home I need to sell. We both worked extra hard decluttering and packing, meeting with realtors, and having a very nice young man, Elton, get my yard in good shape. 
I have only been involved in selling one house in my life. It was our dream house Barry and I built on the farm in south Georgia in 1975.  In 1995, we had already moved to the mountains and we had to go back often to make sure the house was in good repair and the yard was nice. Now I am trying to sell a house without Barry to help me make decisions, and at times the whole thing is overwhelming. Because I still cannot drive, I rely on someone to take me there and can only stay as long as my driver can stay.

But I enjoyed seeing my writer friends while there. Scott Owens, a dear friend and poet, was my house guest one night and he and I were the guest writers for the Literary Hour at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC. I have his newest book, of the twenty he has published, 'Round Here, which is a book filled with photographs by a professional photographer in Catawba County. Scott wrote a poem relating to each picture. He is so good at that. The book can be ordered from RedHawk Publications or from Amazon.com. 

It was a bittersweet experience as Scott said this will likely be the last time I come and stay in your house. He was a favorite teacher of poetry for my Writers Circle Around the Table classes.
He made many friends in the far western part of North Carolina although he lives in Hickory, more in the Piedmont section. I hope to see him appointed Poet Laureate of North Carolina one day.

Well, it is time for me to see a doctor this afternoon to decide if my medication is working and is best for me at this time. I am so tired of constantly dealing with health issues. Physical therapy for my shoulder three times each week and under the care of several doctors who want me to come in for tests.
Although I am grateful to have access to top medical facilities and doctors for any condition, I get frustrated because I am normally an independent person. 

Although the shoulder is healing well, it will take time to gain a full range of mobility in my left arm. 
Thanks to you who read and especially to you who comment, either on this blog or by email so I know you are still with me.
I hope you are healthy and happy, doing what you enjoy, and being grateful for each day.


2 comments:

  1. Definitely bittersweet. I hope your doctors are pleased and you regain your independence. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda, it is so good to read you are recovering, though slowly. You have been on my mind.

    It can’t be easy to be selling your house now too. Good luck with it. I can imagine your late husband by your side as you walk this path. He will inspire you to look after yourself first!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.