Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, June 30, 2023

Times they are A-changing


I often see events advertised here in Clay County or Towns County, GA and the idea is immediately "I want to go." And then I remember what I have to do to go to an outdoor event.

When Barry was with me, he carried the folding chairs or the cooler. All I had to do was walk and sit.
Now, living alone I have to think about how I will get there and what I have to take with me.
It wasn't so long ago, was it, that he and I attended mountain festivals and outdoor singing on the square? Yes, it was long ago. The last time we did that was 2007 and early 2008 before he was diagnosed with cancer in July. 

However, this July, Festival on the Square and thousands of people will gather here in our little town to shop for handmade crafts, eat ice cream and freshly cooked barbecue, buy books from NCWN-West, and meet friends. They will sit for hours in front of the gazebo in their own folding chairs where local singers and players entertain. This event has changed very little, but I and my family that attended for many years have drastically changed. My brothers and my husband are gone now. Instead of attending and enjoying the music, I hope to work at the Netwest booth Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. The chairs will already be in place thanks to our volunteers who set up the booth. I will not carry much with me. 

Although Barry and I watched television, he, more than I, we also liked going to the movies. There is nothing quite like seeing a good movie on the big screen. I have gone alone to the movies once or twice when there was a show I was anxious to see, but I left feeling sad. The memories of how we talked about what we liked or did not like, how we shared a large bag of popcorn, and I was too full to stop to eat somewhere, memories that make me miss him more. 

It is not the same when I ask a friend to come with me. Seems my friends don't like the same kind of movies I like and I am not fond of their choices. It is not easy to find a restaurant we can agree on but easier than finding similar movies. 

Barry and I often took day trips to mountain towns miles from home. Doing that alone is just not the same. Weekends were always busy for us. Saturday could be filled in many ways, and on Sunday we went to church where we both sang in the choir. A group of us went out to eat after church and we had many laughs and lots of fun. 

One day, when I move down to Roswell, Ga where I will be with my sister and brother-in-law and niece and her husband, I will be making a big change but I hope I will have more good times and can make good memories. I am beginning to look forward to moving, but getting my house ready to sell and downsizing is a hard, hard task that takes lots of time. 

As Bob Dylon said in the song, we older folk should get out of the way if we can't lend a hand for the times are a-changing. I want to lend a hand, but not sure how I can. 



Come mothers and fathersThroughout the landAnd don't criticizeWhat you can't understandYour sons and your daughtersAre beyond your commandYour old road is rapidly agin'Please get out of the new oneIf you can't lend your handFor the times they are a-changin'

5 comments:

  1. I felt sad as I read about the adventures you lost as well when Barry Died. I like how you found the positive though with your move to Roswell. A new beginning for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I often feel sad lately remembering what we had, and maybe when I move, I won't be reminded so much of what I lost. Glenda

      Delete
  2. The times are indeed changing - which they always have, and always will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, EC, they always have and always will. Good or bad, we can never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Times have in fact changed. Used to be, my mom and I went everywhere together. Now that she's gone, it has made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.