Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Reimagining My "one precious" Life

Today I read words by a woman who has turned 63 and is planning the rest of her life or how to regenerate her life as she grows older. I am in the place where I will be regenerating my life soon. Leaving the life I have lived here in my mountain home, to make new friends, find new activities, and new ways I can help others, particularly in the writing field. I already have some plans, but I am not ready to voice them yet.
Read the article in Sixty and Me and see if what she says relates to your life and your future.

This is a sample of what she writes:
"A friend of mine went to Argentina to learn how to Tango when she was in her 60s and still teaches Tango lessons today in her 80s! How fabulous!

Write your visions down. Begin to collate a vision book and add to it with pictures, quotes, and research how you might bring your visions to life. Everything in our life begins first in the imagination. It is here that dreams are born and built upon. Creating a vision book is a powerful actionable step towards creating a new life story. This is your template from which you can add to and build on.
"

Aging doesn't have to mean the end. As long as we can breathe, talk, think, and communicate, we can build a new way of life. My sister, in her late seventies, began ballroom dance classes. For several years she has been dancing two or three times each week. She is preparing to dance in a competition (in her age group) in the fall. I am so proud of her. She loves to dance and it keeps her fit. She can lift and carry heavy loads. She is strong and healthy because she quit leading a sedentary lifestyle. She is happier as well.

I regenerated my life after Barry died. I opened my writing studio, Writers Circle Around the Table, where I taught writing, and brought wonderful writers and poets here so others could learn how to improve their writing. Many of us enjoyed those years with three-hour classes where we made new friends while we shared our writing with each other. Many of the writers who attended these classes are published writers now. 

I had to learn how to make the project work for me and for all who were involved. I did not have funds set aside to pay people who came here to Hayesville. But the wonderful men and women who taught at my table agreed that we would set reasonable fees for the workshops, give the instructor an opportunity to hold a public reading where he/she could sell their books, and I would divide the fees between me and the one who was teaching. No one made lots of money, but I received enough to pay my expenses and serve refreshments for each class. The best payment for me was meeting so many new writers who are still friends today. 

For ten years Writers Circle Around the Table fulfilled my dreams and helped me through my grief. I like to learn and I like to teach. My studio fulfilled both of those interests.  During those ten years, I also was voted by the majority of our members to become Program Coordinator for NCWN-West, an organization I have supported and been a leader in since its infancy.

It seems strange that I will be embarking on another attempt to reinvigorate my life before long. But I am ready to make my plans and get busy. 

If you are at an age when you wonder what you will do with the rest of your "one precious life" following Sixty and Me's Astrid Longhurst advice might be all you need.

Let me know if this applies to you and if you are getting ready to make new plans.
Thanks so much for reading and I hope you will come back.

gcbmountaingirl@gmail.com  









4 comments:

  1. I will continue to muddle along - but hope (so much) to be continue to be able to contribute to the community through my volunteering work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice on aging. We sure will miss you when you move, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda. I will miss all of my friends here, but I can come and visit. I will only be a couple of hours away. Glenda

      Delete
  3. E C I know you will continue as long as you are able to help others in your community. They are fortunate to have you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.