Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, June 25, 2023

Saturday was a good day for Mike and me.


Mary Mike and me standing. Estelle Rice sitting.

My friend, Mary Mike, and I had a very nice day Saturday when we drove over to Sylva, NC to City Lights Books.   The mountains were beautiful and we had a good time catching up on the drive over and while we had dinner in Dillsboro, on the way home. Mike has been extremely busy with a sick family member, and it was good for her to get away to have a pleasant day. 

My friend and fellow writer, Dana Wildsmith, held a reading and conversation with Chris Wilcox, owner of the bookstore. I have been a fan of Dana's writing for so many years I can't remember when I wasn't.
Read about her book, Jumping, here.

I read her blog posts and feel, yes, I understand, I know what you are writing about, and I relate to your living on an old farm where your parents lived. Dana has written and published fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Yesterday her poetry book, With Access to Tools, was featured. In this book, she uses the tools on the farm, the hoe, the saw, and the shovel, to write about the tools we writers use. Such an interesting concept. Those of us at the reading discussed the tools used by writers. A new writing tool for many of us is Zoom, which saved my sanity during the lockdown and time of the Pandemic, but Dana did not like Zoom. 

Dana has lived in many interesting places as a writer-in-residence including The Grand Canyon. You can read more about those adventures on her website. www.danawildsmith.com   

Visit my PAGE AT CITY LIGHTS:

Dana's page at City Lights. See all of her books. 






4 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you both had a good day. Here's to many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, as I get older, I realize how important it is to spend time with good friends. I have plans for another gathering of friends this week. Glendaw

      Delete
  2. It must be great to spend some time with fellow writers like that! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, thanks for your comment. Yes, it is great to meet with fellow writers . After the pandemic "aloneness" I am very happy to be with my dear friends face to face again and doing things that are fun. Glenda

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.