Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Tables Serve up Memories


The old table pictured above has seen better days, I'm sure. Now it is in someone's yard instead of a dining room. 

When I was a child, my family gathered around a table exactly like this one in the dining room of the house on the farm in south Georgia. Looking at this picture, I can see my four brothers sitting around that table along with my father at the head and my mother sitting to his right. I see a high chair between Mother and Daddy with my baby sister sitting in it. I know I am on Mother's right side. My brother Hal sat to my right. If Gay was one year old, I was two and a half years older. Mother helped my plate with small helpings of vegetables and meat and always one of her freshly baked biscuits.

My setting is the dining room of the farmhouse on Fleming Road in south Georgia. My characters are all my family members. We never run out of stories as long as we know our family including our ancestors. My aunts and uncles are also characters in my stories. 

I can think about other tables in my life and other stories come to mind. In our first home, my husband and I had a small rectangular table in the kitchen. Later in our dream house where we spent 25 years together our dining table was a long parsons table, laminated and built for us. It was a conversation piece. We had many interesting people sit at that table. Each of them is a memory for me with their story I can tell. 

Writers circle around the table in my studio. Wonderful memories. Wonderful people gathered here.

Tables are known for bringing people together. My brother Max always asked for a round table when he went to a restaurant. They are much more conducive to conversation, especially for storytellers and he was a good one.

In my home in the mountains, I insisted we buy a round table for our dining area. So many new friends, writers, and poets have sat with me at that table. Meetings for our Netwest group have gathered there to discuss the future of our organization. 

After my husband died, I seldom sat alone at the table for meals. I ate on a tray in front of the television set. My lovely round table has recently become an extension of my computer desk.

 As I continue to downsize in preparation for the future, I wonder what will become of my round table. That table could be enlarged with a leaf in the middle of it. Many times six or eight people have gathered there, family and friends. My round table that we bought on sale in Atlanta and hauled home in segments in our car, is one of my favorite things. Maybe I will be able to keep it if or when I leave that house. But I will always have the memories of the good times and the dear people who sat there with me.

Do you have some tables in your life or in your past life that stir memories of times and people and places? Maybe you can write about them. I do and will continue to write poems and stories that are centered around a table. 

4 comments:

  1. Tables are wonderful places to gather, share a meal and a story. We always discussed the days events around our table. Our daughter went through a time when she didn’t share much as a teenager. I enjoy seeing her discuss the day with her children today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda, I enjoyed this posting very much. It brought back many wonderful memories of my family and I gathered around the table with friends, and neighbors. My daddy often invited preachers to eat with us and Mama fixed wonderful homecooked meals for the ministers who enjoyed her wonderful cooking very much. My mama was an excellent cook and always prepared nutritious meals for our family. I miss those bygone days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, thanks for your comment. I know your mother was a good hostess and cook. I'm sure your family had a special table that holds memories for you. Glenda

      Delete
    2. Marie, thanks for reading my blog. Tables can bring back wonderful memories like yours.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.