Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Random Acts of Kindness Make Me Happy


Recently I was reading about what makes us happy. I think most people grow up thinking that money will make them happy, but studies show that people with money are not always happy. Material things make life easier, but do they make us happy? What do you think?

This is one of the things found to make people happy:

4. PERFORM RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS

Random acts of kindness, those selfless acts that help others, help you live for the moment of making others smile and making you smile as well. Random acts of kindness are just that — random. They are spontaneous, in the moment, and a great addition to your daily life.

My sister and I went into the restroom at the theater a few weeks ago. I was in a wheelchair that day because I could not walk the long distance from the parking lot to the movie house and then down a long hall to see the movie. I had just had knee surgery.

As my sister was pushing my chair through the door, a young woman was coming out. She stopped and held the door for us. Then she followed us in and waited for us. I didn't know she was still there until I came out and found her helping my sister get the towel machine to work. As I used the lavatory, she pulled towels for me to use. I asked her if she worked there and she said no. 

"I thought you might need some help," she said with a nice smile. Then she held the door for us to get the chair through as we left.

I hope she was as happy as she made us. A random act of kindness by this kind thoughtful person made me feel warm and hopeful about our society. We hear so much about the bad in the world, but I like to think about the good people I meet all the time. I have found that a smile can change a person's attitude, a thank you can bring a smile and a pleasant reply from a busy person in the grocery store or a waiter who is rushed because of the shortage of help in the restaurant. Just saying something humorous can bring people closer as they laugh together. I remember my husband, Barry, doing this and bringing smiles and laughter to all he met. 

At the doctor's office, I had to give my name to the woman behind the plastic window. I spelled it aloud because so many times it ends up wrong on the file. 

G L E N D A  B E A L L. Then I said, "I always spell it because it seems my husband's family didn't know how to spell Bell." 

This brought laughter from all three women behind the window and suddenly we all felt closer. When I left a few minutes later, I was wished a good afternoon with smiling faces by everyone there. 

The next time you see that person walking in the rain, offer them your umbrella. That stranded motorist? Call for help. The elderly lady struggling with her groceries? Carry them for her. One of the easiest lessons for how to live in the moment is to do something for someone else without expecting anything in return. It not only helps you live in the moment but improves that moment for you and someone else.

4 comments:

  1. Kindness (random or not) always makes me smile. As does beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful post, Glenda. I couldn’t agree more. A shared kindness can make all the difference in someone’s day. What an amazing young woman you met that day and the story of her kindness brightened my day too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad someone was kind and held the door for you. I know when I was a caregiver for Mama and pushing her around in the wheelchair, I was so grateful when someone held the door. How wonderful we still have kind people in this world. So glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A regular reader said: Glad to see you posting. Unable to comment to your post, but I always say 'thank you for bagging' at the grocery store. Such a small thing, but quite telling how surprised and pleased the baggers are. Guess they don't hear appreciation for that service very often - and Publix doesn't allow them to accept tips even if they take groceries to your car.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.