Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, March 26, 2023

Gardening Bug

It hits me every spring when the grass begins to green, the trees begin to flower or bud out, and the daffodils bloom everywhere.
Like a silent disease, it creeps into my mind and my body. I crave filling flower pots or planting living things in the ground. 
When I lived in south Georgia, USA, the growing season was long and began early. Azaleas could be blooming in late February and by March my big yard was overflowing with flowers.

My azaleas make a nice background for Nicki

I had a shady backyard, but the trees were mostly pines and my Azaleas loved living under those trees. I planted gardenias near the patio so I could smell that wonderful aroma. Inside my house which was perfect for plants with floor-to-ceiling windows on three sides of the living area and one side of my dining area, I grew large plants that were right at home there. And outside I could watch the wisteria hanging from a small oak tree where birds delighted in hanging out.

I get nostalgic thinking about that wonderful place where I had thought I would live out my days. But I had twenty-five years there and in those years of happiness, love and laughter, sadness and grief, I built a house of memories. 

Within the walls of that, my dream house, we lost our beloved Brandy who had been my shadow for nineteen years. We lost Nicki, our first Samoyed, at only two years of age from an unknown illness. Barry insisted we find another Samoyed puppy and we did. He became the love of my life and Kodi lived to move to North Carolina with us.

My friend, Sue, gave us a tiny black kitten with white paws. 
He was so scared of the new place that he hid out under the freezer and would not come out. I was afraid he would climb into the motor or get caught in there and be killed. But when Barry came home that night, he moved the freezer and the little kitten came to him like he was grateful to be rescued. From that moment on Diesel, the name Barry gave him because he had a loud purr, was definitely Barry's cat. He cuddled in Barry's lap and followed my husband around. It broke his heart and mine when he had to tell the vet to euthanize his friend. Diesel had a large tumor growing in his mouth. We had it removed once, but it came back and he could not eat with it. We were told it would continue to come back and we had to put him down.

In the book I wrote with my friend and fellow writer, Estelle Rice, I tell the stories of some of these dogs and of the relationship Barry and I had with them. Animals are so special and smart and fun. My life has been filled with them and their stories.    Paws, Claws, Hooves, Feathers and Fins 

Today is a beautiful day here in the city. I watered my azalea bush and my jasmine bush, both of which are in pots on my small deck at my sister's house. I garden in small ways now. Soon I will buy some red geraniums for my upper deck in Hayesville where I hope to spend my summer. I doubt my hydrangea is still alive since we had some really cold weather up there. But I will plant annuals or grow a pepper plant so I can satisfy my inner farmer. 

I hope you will click on the following link and see how I feel about gardening. Maybe you do, too.







4 comments:

  1. Goodness John Denver was young in that clip.
    Gardens (and furry friends) make a home for me.
    I love your azaleas in the early photo - and which I could grow them that well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Glenda: EC, I had the most beautiful azaleas every year. I miss them. Yes, Denver was such a young man when he started and I loved his singing and the songs he sang.

      Delete
  2. Love that song and anything John Denver did really. He had it right about gardens!

    All the pets who enrich our lives are blessings for sure. I love gardening too! Hope you can watch some plants grow this year, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I am with you on John Denver. I miss that kind of music and that kind of singer today. I hope to get some plants going on my deck in the next few weeks. Glenda

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.