Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, December 31, 2021

Family Gatherings

In this photo are my cousin, Sadie Jo and my brother, Max who is 90+ and looks good although he was seriously ill with COVID in 2020. Sadie's mother and my mother were sisters and had the same birthday.


From the time I was a child, Aunt Mildred and Uncle Lawson, their two girls and Uncle Rudolph and Aunt Red and their only child Caroline came out to the farm, to our house on December 23 which was the birthday of Mildred and Lois, my mother. At that time, mother made eggnog, from scratch with the eggs from our chickens. She usually added a little bourbon or some kind of whiskey to the drink and I remember tasting it and thought it was horrible. It was the only time alcohol was served in our house until many years later when most of the older children had married.

The only time I ever saw my father a little tipsy was when he drank eggnog once at the annual party. I was a teenager and was shocked and embarrassed to see my father that way. I left the room and would not come back until folks went home and Daddy went to bed.

I made eggnog when I was first married and added a little brandy to it. I thought it was delicious then.
We didn't have any eggnog this year. Gay and Stu are not fond of what you purchase at the store, and I didn't get any just for me. 

I wonder if, now that I have a mature palette, would I like Mother's eggnog with the whiskey she put in it. I might drink it and get a little tipsy myself. Maybe I will try her recipe.

Do you drink eggnog at Christmas? Did your family have special traditions and certain drinks that were only served at Christmas? 

8 comments:

  1. The genes in your family are obviously good. Your brother (and Sadie) both look excellent.
    Egg nog didn't happen very often here, but was welcomed when it did. Our Christmases are hot so cooling rather than warming drinks are the order of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two of my brothers died in their seventies, but one brother was eighty and my sister was 88 when she died. My father was 87 and his two sisters were in their nineties. I had a cousin who was over 100. I hope I have those genes but mostly I hope my quality of life is good until I leave this earth.
    It is hard for me to imagine Christmas coming in the summertime as it does in Australia. I know the food and drink must be different. So interesting. Is it new year's there yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, our New Year has arrived. I hope it is a healthy, happy, hopeful one. For you, and for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only time there was alcohol around our house was a bottle of rum at Christmas for rum and coke when people dropped by. Usually only the men drank that. I was much older when wine was served at special meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Glenda. I've never liked the taste of anything alcoholic. So, I don't blame you for not liking that eggnog. Thank you for sharing this post. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, sounds like your family was similar to mine about alcohol. A funny thing happened to me at the local supermarket this past week. I asked an employee at Publix, "Where is the alcohol?" The young man immediately pointed me to the far right front of the store. "You can find all the alcohol in that area," he said.
    I laughed and told him I was looking for rubbing alcohol, and he was embarrassed, but he led me straight to the aisle to find what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Abbie. Hope your dreams come and you find happiness, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I had a bit of homemade eggnog with a little brandy in it, I would certainly enjoy it, but I won't go out of my way to find it. The stuff you buy in the store isn't very good. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.