Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, December 27, 2021

A Second Home

Here I am snuggled into bed in my apartment.
On Christmas Eve, I slept here for the first time. I know what it means to be a minimalist now. Borrowed items from my sister's kitchen and the electric skillet I received at Christmas can be used to make my breakfast.  

The rooms are pretty bare, the cabinets and drawers are near empty. Strangely, I feel better here out of the clutter I live in at home. I am convinced that my own home makes me sick. I want to clear out most of what is in my house in the mountains. Much of it will be brought here, but not all of it! During the past two years, I lived almost all the time in my kitchen, dining and living area, and bedroom. When my dining room became my office, the clutter began to grow. I soon was drowning in paper. It seemed that my furniture grew or multiplied and my open space shrunk. One bedroom became a catchall space and no one could sleep there now. Clutter is bad for me, and I will do something about it when I go home.

I have two closets here at the apartment and love all that empty space. I brought some clothes and shoes and will leave most of them so when I come down in the future, I won't have so much to pack.

We had a quiet Christmas Day.
My nephew began to run a fever and felt unwell that morning, so his mother said she thought it best if we didn't come over.  

However it was fun opening presents with Gay and Stu and having our dinner here, just the three of us.





I did not get Christmas cards mailed as I have done in the past. I did send out some Email Christmas letters. I love the cards sent to me by friends and family.
It is so nice to be remembered and to hear from them.

I have a friend on my mind tonight. 
She has been taking chemo for the past year. She is in the hospital now and was under Hospice care at home until yesterday when she was moved to Asheville NC under strong pain meds. She is suffering so much.

That is why I support Compassion and Choices. I watched my sweet husband deal with the horrible pain of cancer and I know, if I had a choice, I would want to have a say in how I want to end my life. I think anyone who has watched a loved one suffer knowing there is no cure, would want that person free of pain more than anything. I know I felt that way with Barry. Unless someone tells the doctor what the patient wants and what the family wants, the doctors will continue to prolong the suffering as that is what they think they are supposed to do.

HOSPICE

My friend, Ellen, a doctor who works in a Hospice Center, says many relatives or close family members will insist they do everything possible to prolong the life of the patient even if he/she is suffering great pain and has no chance of recovering. 

Don't we suffer enough just living with our illnesses and aches and pains, with our losses and griefs? Why make us suffer even more at the end of our lives? 

I am grateful for my kind and loving sister and brother-in-law who do so much for me, even providing a relaxing retreat for me. Lexie is not sure she wants to stay here, but she finally decided, if she couldn't go upstairs with Gay and Smokie, she would stay with me. In her own bed, she is curled up and is sleeping away.


ACCEPT AND MOVE ON

I am trying to look at the positives in my life the past two years instead of dwelling on the things that have been tough, and the changes that will likely be permanent. We must accept those changes and move on in new ways to enjoy our lives.

Hope you have escaped COVID and will have a happy and healthy new year.







 

9 comments:

  1. I love that you have a new home and that you are enjoying it. Our home is cluttered too, and I am sure you are right. It does impact on us negatively (both physically and emotionally).
    I hope your nephew recovers quickly.
    And yes, I long for the day when euthanasia is an option here. When my father was dying every time he woke he said 'oh god, am I still here'. Despite our own pain we were all glad when his was finally relieved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your nephew comes through this bout of illness okay!

    I can relate to your comments about the changes in your life. Transition is a constant in life and as we get older, it gets harder to adjust. You have come through the hardest part I believe, the acceptance of transition. You have been fortunate to have family to help you through.

    Canada has a law regarding medical assistance in dying. I believe people should have a choice about end of life care to include assistance with dying. There are lots of guidelines but we have a choice about end of life.

    Enjoy the remainder of your time with family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenda, I'm glad you're settling into your second home. Good luck with all the changes you're making. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you have Gay and her husband. They are wonderful. I understand how changes come into our lives and I know about loved ones suffering. It's hard to move forward, but they would want us to enjoy life and carry on. I wish for you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, EC for your comments. It is amazing how much better I feel here in my uncluttered space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Marie. I am so enjoying being here with my sister and her husband. Today was their fiftieth anniversary. I had completely forgotten it until they told me they were going out to celebrate their anniversary. I have to admit, the days and the dates seem to have all run together recently. We will celebrate this important milestone on January 14 with a big party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Abbie. I am learning to drive in the big city and find it very different from home with all the traffic here. I am having a good time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brenda Kay, thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment. It seems more difficult to lose someone during Christmas time. I had an uncle who died on Christmas day. But, as you say, we must go on and live the best life we can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glenda,
    I'm glad you, Gay, and Stu had a good Christmas. I miss seeing you around town, but saw Ann at Hayesville Family Practice on Monday. I sent word by her to tell you hello. I hope you are doing well and look forward to our meeting again with Netwest when Covid slacks off.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.