Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Sick at my second home

It is hard to have a positive outlook when you have tested positive for COVID. 
Even though I am sick with this virus I am so very fortunate to be with my sister and in my apartment at her house. She spent most of Wednesday trying to make me comfortable and getting what I need to recover. My niece also helped.

I began feeling sick on Monday of this week but drove down to Roswell as I had planned. I went to Urgent Care on Tuesday to see if I had contracted this illness and was shocked when I was told I definitely had COVID. I felt like I had the flu.

No one could have tried harder or been more careful to follow the guidelines of the CDC, but somehow on Friday of last week, I evidently came in contact with someone and was exposed to this sickness. For two years, I have been self-isolating, social- distancing, and wearing a mask when out in public.

I was told by friends who live in the mountains near me that I was better off staying away from there as the surge had hit. But I don't think I was exposed to it there because I was in Roswell, GA on Friday.

Yesterday I felt bad and was short of breath, but today I am feeling better. I am so glad I am vaccinated and had my booster shot. I hope the worst is over and that Gay and Stu don't get it. 

So, the positive thing about all this is I am here and being cared for by my loving family. I was told by my doctor's office to rest, do nothing at all, just rest and stay hydrated. That would have been difficult if I were home alone. 

So, I have much to be thankful for and a year to look forward to. I am making plans and I hope you are, also. This scourge will end and our country will come together to save our democracy. Once the pandemic is under control, the entire world will settle down and we can stop fearing the future. 







12 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry to read this and hope that your recovery is quick and complete. I am also glad that if you had to get this scourge you got it where you can be cared for, and get the support you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I can understand your shock at contracting the virus when you’ve been so careful for so long. I am so glad you are with family to help you. Being alone through an infection must be horrendous. Take care and speedy recovery.


    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you at least have your sister and brother-in-law at your side through this. It's shocking, isn't it, how easy this variant is to transmit. I know you've followed the recommendations for staying safe, as have I, and hope you are well very soon, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too wonder if I will be able to keep from getting this, even though I'm vaccinated and boosted. My close friend John got it, and he feels good but is in isolation. Sort of: I learned that he drives to the coffee shop and orders coffee by phone and they bring it to him in his truck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda, I'm sorry you contracted the virus. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DJan, I was very sick for the first two days. My doctor's office said if my oxygen dropped below 92, I should go to the ER. My Doctor is in NC and I am in the Atlanta area so they could not help me except to give me advice on the phone.
    I was able to get a prescription from them for oxygen at home and my family got that right away. It helped tremendously. I am also on antibiotics which I assume is to help if I have a bacterial infection of my lungs. Weakness and breathing problems are my main symptoms. I hope that all this rest I am getting and TLC from my family will have me up and going next week.
    Meanwhile, I hear that my older brother is back in the hospital with pneumonia. This is the second or third time since he had COVID. The long-haul effects can be brutal even if you have a mild case of the virus. Hope John recovers quickly and that you don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear this! Sending you healing energy, light, and love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lise, thanks so much for your concern. I am recovering and will be well before long, I'm sure. I am fortunate to have had my shots and to have family to care for me. My niece, Lee and my sister, Gay and my BIL Stu, have been wonderful and I have rested. Thanks for your healing energy and light and love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abbie, thank you for your caring. I am sure I will be fine before long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara, it is so good to hear from you. Thank you for your concern. This is a very easily transmitted illness, it seems, and hard to avoid. The doctor at the Urgent Care center said I was not wearing a good enough mask. She said I should have an N95 mask. So maybe it was my own fault. The cotton masks with space for a filter inside had done the job for me for almost two years. Be careful and be safe, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Marie. I don't know how I would have managed at home alone. Although I was sick on Monday, I am glad I drove down to Roswell, a two-and-a-half-hour trip. I had no idea I had this virus but knew I felt really bad and wanted to just pull over and go to sleep. Glad I didn't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. EC, thanks for your comment. Yes, I am glad I was able to get to my sister's in Roswell, GA. They have been wonderful to me and so far, they are not testing positive. I so hope they don't catch this illness. We were supposed to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary on Jan. 14, but the week before they postponed it because of COVID. If they had gone on with the party, they would not have been able to attend because they are self-isolating because of me exposing them. Carzy world we have today.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.