Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, February 5, 2021

Virtual Funeral

Even though I gripe and complain about all the new technology, today I deeply appreciate the ability to see on my computer screen a special occasion taking place many miles from me.

I attended the funeral of my brother's wife, my dear friend, Salita, because Mathews Funeral Home in Albany, GA. live-streamed the service which took place, not inside, but outside at the cemetery.
It was as if I were there with my brother, Max, and his family in the Council Family Cemetery on the farm where I grew up.

To see the old oak tree in the background and the pastures where I rode my horse, brought up a longing to go back to the time my mother and daddy were living, my brothers, my sister, June, her husband Stan were still here. I watched a much-loved friend and family member laid to rest. I heard her granddaughter speak of the love she poured out for all those around her. 

She was loved and she loved.
My eyes brimmed with tears as we listened to the tribute for a woman who was a homemaker, mother, wife, and friend to so, so many. We heard how generous she was to children in need. When her four sons were growing up, their friends filled the house, and Salita always welcomed them to the table loaded with good southern cooking. Christmas was a special time, and she wanted the biggest tree decorated and surrounded with gifts for her family. Wrapping gifts together until the wee hours of the morning and being there for that big breakfast on Christmas morning are memories that will linger with her children and grandchildren and will be passed down over the years.

The minister spoke of the love her sons had always felt from their mother and the love they had for her. All four sons still live nearby and so do their children. Only one grandchild is far away and he is in the Marines.

I feel that I went home today.
I had heard others say they have attended virtual funerals and weddings, but this was my first, and it took place on the land where I spent more than half my life.  I liked that I could hear the remembrance I wrote for Salita read by her granddaughter.

Having lost so many family members and realizing there are only three of the seven siblings living today, my own mortality looms darkly on the horizon. One day my ashes will probably be there in the serene country cemetery with those who have passed on. My heart aches for my brother and his family. And I mourn for a friend I have known since I was twelve years old. 


Salita and Max Council and their granddaughter, Carrie Council
 
One doesn't have to be famous, have thousands of friends on Facebook, have great wealth, win awards, or change the world to be important and special. If one loves freely and helps others when and however they can, that is all that is needed. Salita will forever be remembered as one who loved and gave all she had to make others happy, especially those who needed her. What more could one ask?



5 comments:

  1. That is the very best of epitaphs isn't it? I am so glad that you found a way to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am very glad you were able to "attend" her funeral, and feel yourself present as she was laid to rest. She sounds like she was a wonderful person who will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful tribute to Salita. A life well lived and never forgotten! What more could one ask?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One good thing that has come out of this pandemic is the availability of church services and other events virtually. Because of my visual impairment, I am unable to drive. But now, I don’t have to worry about how I will get to these events. I simply open the mail program on my phone, find the zoom invitation, click the link, and there I am. Of course, the sound quality isn’t always as good, but it’s better than not attending the event at all. I’m glad you were able to attend your sister-in-law‘s funeral in this fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Abbie. I am happy you have found ways to attend events online as I have. Like you, I don't travel much now and the Internet is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.