Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Not Just Yet

Here it is February 17 and I am still unpacking from my two months visit with my sister and brother-in-law. While it is always good to get home and back to real life, I am a bit overwhelmed with all I have on my calendar for the next two months.

Being away from home is such freedom from responsibility. That is why I always loved our vacations. If you own a house, it really owns you. When I look at the list of things I must do to my place this year, I am tempted to sell it and move to a rental. Some advice I received recently: Don't spend your savings on the house. 

Someday I will likely downsize, pack up what is left and go to be with family. 

But not now. Today I begin teaching a second writing class on Zoom. 

Perhaps I was meant to teach even when I found my early experience stressful. I began teaching fourth grade at Sylvester Road Elementary School. Mrs. Gotko, a slight woman who had been injured in a car accident and left with a limp, was the principal. She was easy to work for and I liked that she stood up for her teachers when parents complained. I only had one set of parents complain about me. Their daughter made up a ridiculous story, and Mrs. Gotko and I sat down with the parents to hear their gripe. 

I loved my kids and we had a great relationship. Sometimes a child having problems at home came in early and sat on my lap while I listened to her tearful fears and concerns. Martin, a child who could not read, had a special place in my heart. He sat near my desk so I could work closely with him. 

I don't remember the imagined event told by the little girl to her parents. I think she might have tried to find a way to excuse a less than perfect grade she had received. Mrs. Gotko praised me highly and assured them I was a wonderful teacher. The matter was settled. 

In later years, I was co-director and teacher for a private kindergarten. I enjoyed this teaching experience more than I had enjoyed the fourth grade. For ten years I helped plan lessons and prepare the kids for big school, for working and getting along with others, as well as develop eagerness for learning. I loved this job, not only because of the children, but also because I was my own boss. I could use my ideas, my knowledge and experience in doing the best job possible for my students.

Many years later I found that I could teach and enjoy teaching mature adults to write. Again, my classroom was filled with eagerness, with students who wanted to learn, to accomplish goals, to create something of their own.  

At this time in my life, retired and free to do anything I can afford to do, one might think I would want to sit on the deck of my mountain home and relax or travel to those places I have not been but want to see. Perhaps I will do that one day, but not just yet. 


View from my deck






8 comments:

  1. I hear you about wanting to just relax and stop for awhile, but I am also very glad you enjoy teaching so much. I'm sure your students appreciate having you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that teaching is in your blood (as I believe it is in the very best of that precious breed). I am so very glad that you are not ready to walk away from it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your new class. Teaching any age, is a challenge but so enjoyable if you have the heart for it. You obviously do. Enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda, you sound like you were a wonderful teacher. I wish there were more like you. Thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Abbie. I suffered some awful teachers in my school years and that is why I wanted to be a different kind of teacher, a helpful and caring person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, I believe that if we can do what we love to do, it makes us happy. So I accept the challenge and it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. EC, I am thankful I can still do what I enjoy even at my age and in a pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DJan, today the sun is shining and I have been very good to myself today. I am trying to make time to relax at home and not to worry about anything, especially things I can do nothing about. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.