Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, December 26, 2020

The Day after Christmas

While Zoom is not my favorite way to communicate with family, I am glad we have it.
Today I saw family members who respect our need for isolation at this time, and we laughed and talked as if we were in the same room. 

One couple just moved this week and they are painting and unpacking. Another couple is young ones who graduated from college in 2020. One is waiting for that job he had expected to be there for him. One is in grad school and working two jobs.

One is champing at the bit to get out and work again and meet with her friends for coffee. Eight of us have not been sick with COVID. It is very likely I had the virus just before testing began in late February and early March. My doctor said it is very possible. She diagnosed me with a virus at the time and my symptoms were the same as COVID, fever, wheezing, extreme fatigue and now loss of taste much of the time.
My garage in the snow

With winter hitting us down here in the south and covering my home and those around me with snow for Christmas, it is a good time to settle in, make hot chocolate, and watch movies on TV, but I don't like most modern movies. I hunt for programs that are educational or warm and loving. 

I did watch Hillbilly Elegy recently and The Queen's Gambit. Although many thought the first was a putdown of native Appalachian people, I looked at it as a story that could have taken place anywhere in the country. Drug abuse, child abuse, and addiction are prevalent everywhere now. The author of the book that the movie was based on lived in the mountains and told about his life. It was his story to tell and I am sure that parts of it were hard to put on the page. 

I saw the love of family and how far family members will go to take care of their own, much as my family would have done. We saw at the end how all survived, except the wise grandmother who died. I think Ron Howard is a master storyteller who draws us into the movie and into the characters. 

I, like many others I know, said they would not watch The Queen's Gambit because it was about Chess. But the movie was about so much more. I don't play Chess, but I was glued to the screen from beginning to end. The movie was about the characters bonded by the game. A little girl orphaned by an automobile accident ends up in an orphanage where the janitor teaches her to play Chess. Unbelievably smart the girl becomes obsessed with the game. The story of her life as she grows up becomes adopted and begins to play and win tournaments had me totally drawn in. For anyone who likes character-driven movies, this one is for you.


Tonight, I can take my choice - read my new book, An Hour Before Daylight by Jimmy Carter, which my BIL gave me for Christmas, continue to write my mother's story, or work on plans for the class I will teach in January. Life is never boring and it is filled with things I enjoy doing. 

What are you doing these days following Christmas 2020?



6 comments:

  1. ' I looked at it as a story that could have taken place anywhere in the country.' - or indeed for much of the world.
    I saw a blogging friends review of Hillbilly Elegy - which I have not seen or read yet and thought just that. Thank you.
    I am tired to the bone and am reading, doing a little desultory gardening early before the heat ramps up, and being grateful for all that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Queen's Gambit and still think of certain scenes. And although I watched Hillbilly Elegy, I recall little about it and don't remember being very impressed with it. However, I sure did enjoy hearing from you and how your holiday went. Sending you lots of virtual hugs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EC, you work too hard. Rest and relax and stay out of the heat. Here it is cold and I haven't been out for a walk in a week. If it was hot here, I would be inside where it is cool.
    I can't take the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, DJan. I watched the Queen's Gambit because you gave it such a nice review on your blog. Thank you for that.
    Sending hugs to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely watch movies because I have so many books I need to give away and many that I have not read. There are also my husband’s books. On his shelf in GA there is Jimmy Carter’s An Hour Before Daylight. I need to read it. We visited Jimmy Carter’s farm and I still have the photos and could write a post on it, so reading the book would help. Jim also had many other books by J. Carter, two copies about Christmas too. I did feel like watching a movie on Christmas Eve and saw Sophia Loren’s latest film “The Life Ahead.” I really enjoyed it – she is such a great actress and at 86 years old still has such a presence.
    I do not have Zoom, but I hear a lot about it. It has not been easy to be away from family and friends. I hope that in 2021 things will change. Wishing you a happy new year, with good health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vagabonde, Thanks for stopping by. Like you, I am giving away books and much more when I can find a good home for them. I have many of Jimmy Carter's books and I like his poetry book.
    His home town was not far from mine. My brother was in Rotary Club with Carter and knew him personally. I admire him so much.
    I would like to see a post on your visit to President Carter's farm.
    I have hope that this coming year will be much better for us and, at least, we now have hope for a better time ahead. You could learn to Zoom quite easily. If you want, I can help you get on with me one day and we can practice.
    Email me if you are interested and we can exchange phone numbers and that will help.
    Stay well and keep posting on your terrific blog.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.