Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, December 24, 2020

Christmas Past


    Christmas Eve, 2020

This time of year I find myself looking back at past holiday seasons. 
With seven children, our big family filled my parents' home on Christmas Day. Mother and Stan, my brother-in-law, made the fruitcakes when he and my sister, June, were home for Thanksgiving. The cakes seasoned for a month wrapped in cloth and were periodically doused with a little whiskey. I don't know what kind was used, but it was evidently necessary for the fruitcake to stay moist.

Mother's fruitcake was nothing like the ones sold in stores every Christmas in Georgia. Although I didn't care for all the candied fruit, I liked the cake.

Mother made cornbread dressing and giblet gravy from scratch. I make that dressing now and and eat with Gay and Stu in Roswell, GA.


Banana pudding made by Gay
When I was older Mother began adding oysters to the dressing. Almost all of my family liked the new recipe. I didn't care for it. So Mother made a small pan of dressing without the oysters for me.

Years later when Barry and I were married and lived in our dream house on the farm, I hosted Christmas dinner for the family because Mother had suffered a damaging aneurysm. Some family did not seem comfortable and wanted to have dinner at the Big House, as we called our family home. The next year we moved Christmas dinner back to the house where my parents lived, and we all brought the food. Mother loved having her family around her.

We also hosted the Beall Christmas for many years. Barry's brother, Richard,
 and his children came as well as Helen, Barry's mother. I enjoyed cooking the big meal and having everyone at our house for a couple of days.

At times it seems it was only a few years ago we gathered with family down in south Georgia, USA. Helen and Richard are gone. Richard's wife is married to another and lives miles away. I seldom see his children now. 

The happy faces of my brothers are simply memories. Although one still lives, I don't see him very often. I miss my sister, June, who was always home at Christmas time no matter where she lived. 

Traditions

  • Mother made the fruitcake
  • Mother's sister, Mildred, and her family visited on Christmas Eve or on the 23rd of December which was birthday for both my mother and Mildred.
  • Homemade Eggnog was served on those ocassions when aunts, uncles and cousins visited at Christmas. It was the only time alcohol was served in our home when I was young. Neither of my parents drank as I was growing up. When Daddy was in his seventies he began having a hot toddy in the afternoons when his energy ran low. 
  • Dancing was often a part of the family gathering. The aunts and uncles danced along with me and my siblings.
  • In later years, my brother, Hal, brought oysters from Florida. They were shucked and eaten raw on the night of the family gathering. I miss that brother and all those dear people who are no longer here. But I have memories of Christmases past that warm my heart still. 


To my subscribers and readers, I wish for you a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year. For those who have lost loved ones this year my heart hurts for you as you mourn. One day you will smile as you think of them and remember the happy times. 

I appreciate your visiting me here, and I enjoy your comments.

A Moring Christmas Tree 

 










2 comments:

  1. Thank you.
    Our Christmas is here and has been low key and lovely, despite not meeting up with any of the family.
    I am the fruit cake maker here, and I am told that the small ones I gave to family and friends have gone down a treat.
    When your Christmas dawns I do hope that you find comfort and joy. And yes, my heart aches for many people around the world for whom Christmas is going to be very hard indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a gifted writer, and I am one of those blessed by your thoughtful posts. I especially love looking back in time to your earlier years, and hearing about all the love and tradition that surrounded you and your family. I wish you all good things, dear Glenda. Thank you again for all you do for others.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.