Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, May 11, 2020

Telemedicine and COVID-19

I just completed a tele-medicine appointment with my primary care doctor. I am so happy she will do this kind of thing, and she said her patients have been super happy with it. But soon the Federal Government will shut down the tele-medicine program. I don't know why. When I see her for my next appointment in late July, I will have to go inside the office. We all know that the COVID 19 will still be a problem in our area. We are not likely to have a vaccine by then.

At present, she is having patients come to the parking lot for blood tests and any kind of procedure where a face to face meeting is necessary. She said most of her patients are following the guidelines to wear masks and keep social distancing. When the telemedicine ends, she will continue to practice social distancing in the office and she and her staff will wear masks.

I was glad to have a chance to talk to her. She said I should continue to wear my mask when I am out in public or with other people. I am at high risk with my respiratory problems, diabetes, and because of my age. I knew this, of course, but wanted her medical opinion. I will isolate as much as possible and it is not easy when you want to throw your arms around your sister or friend. I am a hugger, but now I can't.

 She spoke of a patient who was in the hospital now, very, very sick because he and his pastor met outside his home with a group for Bible study. They did not wear masks or any protection. Sadly, she said that most people when they reach the ICU stage don't make it. My brother was a miracle. He survived a week there on a ventilator, but he was in good health for his age. He walked two miles every day, took his supplements, was not overweight and just took care of himself.

Dr. W. said she wears a mask anytime she is out including buying groceries.
Recently, at Wal-Mart she and her boyfriend were shopping and obeying the six foot distance, staying on the blue circles marking six feet apart when a man came right up next to her boyfriend. He was evidently one of those people who are in denial about the virus and the protections we should follow. Her friend asked the man to step back to the circle six feet away. And that is when the man became belligerent. She said, "He went off!"

Why would people act like that? I just don't understand the mindset of this kind of person. This is why I am afraid to even go out in public now. I don't want a fight, a confrontation with these people and I don't want to be near someone who is unconcerned about the health of others.

Having lost a friend to COVID-19 and almost losing my brother, I know this is a serious, highly contagious illness and not just the flu as so many people in my area like to say.

I asked her if I could get a test for antibodies since I am wondering if my illness back in late January and early February could have been this virus. She said she would not recommend it at this time because I might need to be tested later and Medicare would not pay again. She also said the early claims that all testing would be paid for and that no one would have to pay the bill has not proven to be true. It seems many of the promises that came down the pike are not being honored, and she is in a position to see it first hand. I also heard yesterday that there aren't any tests in my county. What? I thought we had plenty of tests in this country. Weren't we told that?

I felt much better after talking with her and I have a new found respect for this young doctor. Sadly, my respect for my chiropractors is not so high since neither of them will wear a mask, and one of them told me I didn't need to wear a mask because it did no good. No good for whom?

My doctor thinks much of this disregard for safety and wearing a face covering comes from early directions from CDC saying we did not need to wear masks. She thinks that was said simply because there was a shortage of masks and PPE for the medical care workers. CDC was trying to stop the public from buying up the masks. Later, Dr. Fauci changed his tune on this and now they advise us to practice social distancing and to wear masks.

I wonder if anyone would want to pass on this virus to another, possibly to someone like me who would likely die if I catch it. If not, why is it so difficult to wear a fabric covering over your nose and mouth just to insure you would not pass on a droplet from your nose or mouth or accidentally cough near someone like me. I know how often I sneeze unexpectedly, barely having time to turn my face into my elbow.

The big danger of this coronavirus is that someone could have it and not be aware, have no symptoms but be dangerous to others. Like the woman who attended the dance in Murphy, NC or the man who attended the funeral in Albany, GA. They did not know they were sick, but these two people brought in a disease that killed many other people. 

If they were still alive today, I know they would be horrified to have done this. I feel sure they would have gladly worn a mask, a cloth covering of some kind, and would have been super sure their hands were sanitized. 

If only the ignorant people who are going around with no concern for others would be as careful. I say ignorant because these people are not educated to the dangers for a large part of our population. While we are staying home, we do have to live in this world.

I am staying home and can't complain about that. But I need to go to the post office and the grocery store sometimes. No one in Ingles grocery store had on a mask the last time I was there. I was told, "It is hard to work in a mask." Well, I thought, tell that to all those in the medical field who wear them every day. I'm sure they would prefer to not have to wear a mask, and all the PPE, but they do it trying to save their own lives and the lives of others. 

We are all frustrated and feel our lives are out of our control. We want to be like we were before this monster virus hit our land, but we will likely not ever be the same. I feel sure my life will not go back to the way it was. I have cried and I have screamed my frustration and anger. I have talked with a therapist and talked with my family, and we are all in the same boat. We have to just wait and hope our leaders will do what is best for all of us so we don't have to die. And we have to hope our fellow man will think about all of us as he goes blithely through his day.

As my niece said today on our Zoom visit. "This will pass one day."

Look at the cute mask Corie Pressley wore when she came to help me. I think she is a fashion plate in this. Someone should start a site just for cute masks. Corie would be a winner, I'm sure. 




My readers, how are you coping and what do you think?


https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/verify-viral-image-about-masks-gets-the-numbers-wrong-but-the-idea-right/507-ff915e39-5a79-483d-86b7-98ecc796c8e5


8 comments:

  1. Corie does indeed look super cute.
    We don't wear masks here on the whole (but do practise social distancing). We wear masks when/if we go to a doctor's surgery and anywhere else where people request it. We are told that they are not necessary for the general public and should be reserved for the emergency workers.
    So far our infection rate is low (and there are currently no known active cases in my city). Less than 100 people in Australia have lost their lives. Millions have lost their jobs. We are not over this yet. Not by a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda my family is experiencing the same feelings you are. We long for the normal we enjoyed just a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to my dermatologist appointment last week, and nobody was allowed inside the building without a mask, and we had to leave it on at all times, even during my examination. I have several masks now, and I like to make them match my outfits. Of course, that is usually easy, a t-shirt and black pants. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda, this is an interesting post. Since I'm a writer who stays home a lot, anyway, it has been business as usual for me. I've had more time to work on my new novel. However, I miss not being able to attend my water exercise classes at the YMCA or my writing group meetings at the library or senior center. However, my writing groups are now meeting via phone conference. So, that helps. Also, my singing group, which usually practices at the local Methodist church, now chats on Zoom once a week, and it's a joy for all of us to at least see each other's faces. I hope you continue to stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DJan, I love it! you making your masks match your outfit. I like hearing that your dermatologist is following safety guidelines. I am thinking about going back to Physical therapy in a few weeks. That is something I really need to do for my health and I am told they are being super careful of their clients.
    I feel our new normal will be very different as we move forward, but I will seek those places that work for me. I told myself today: I am still in charge of my own life. I can choose where I go and what I do, and I can try to avoid everything and everyone who doesn't fit with my plan. I just wish our only grocery store was more careful about their customers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abbie, I am glad you are coping so well with the staying home requirements at this time. Perhaps the concern for my brother and being so far from him at this time has been more stressful for me. Talking to him did not make me feel that much better. I wanted to see his doctor in person and talk about my brother's health and his follow up care.
    I find I am not very creative when I am under stress. But I have found joy in planting seeds and bulbs in pots on my container garden. I miss going to the stores and nurseries and shopping for plants and flowers. I guess spring brings out the gardener in me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tipper, this has to have been difficult with your husband having to work out in the world every day. I am so glad you and your girls have been able to work from home and that you are able to order your groceries and pick them up. Some day this will be over, but we are in for the long haul and it takes grit. You have that, I know. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EC, so glad to hear how you are doing in Australia. Wonderful news that you have had no known cases in your town! Sounds like something was done differently in your country from what we have done in the United States. Stay well and thanks so much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.