Da’non Dastugue has performed in productions in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, and New Orleans, including Sweat, Steel Magnolias, 12 Angry Jurors, Harvey, and Quartet.
I had seen her in two plays, but I met her when my brother-in-law, Stu Moring, invited her to dinner.
For many years I have interviewed writers, but not actors or
people in the theater. Stu participates in community theater, and he thought it
would be fun for me to meet some interesting actresses. I was delighted. Da’non
was just as he had said she was.
Da’non, thank you for your time and for answering my
questions.
GCB: I think everyone would be interested in your
name. Is it a stage name or is it your birth name? Will you tell us about it?
Da’non: My name actually comes from the 1951 movie
“Westward the Women” starring Robert Taylor and Denise Darcell. Darcell was a
French actress, and her name in the film was Danon. My mother was pregnant with
my oldest brother and thought it would be a good name if she had a daughter.
She had to wait through two boys before I came along in 1957! She said it would
sound great with the French last name of Dastugue.
I asked her once what I should change my name to when I became a famous actress, which, as you know, was a common thing at that time, and she adamantly said, “Do not change your name. I gave you that name, and it will look great on a marquee!”
FYI – I added the apostrophe a few years ago because everyone kept calling me Dannon, like the yogurt. It really has helped.
GCB: You are a native of New Orleans, Louisiana, but
now live in Atlanta. Will you tell us about your family and your childhood in
New Orleans?
Da’non: Yes, I was born and lived in New Orleans. The
Dastugues originated from France, and my paternal grandfather spoke French
until he was four.
New Orleans is a fabulous place to grow up: Mardi Gras,
seafood, great music, fabulously colorful people.
My maternal grandfather was from Biloxi, Mississippi, and we
spent a lot of time on the Gulf Coast, also.
GCB: Do you have brothers and sisters?
Da’non: I have 2 older brothers and 1 younger sister. I also
had 2 stepbrothers (now deceased) and have a stepsister I am really close to.
GCB: Is anyone else in your family also into the Arts?
Da’non: My sister is the only person who is also in
the arts. She is a travel writer, novelist, and photographer. She recently, at age 62, earned her M.A. in Creative Writing! So proud of her.
GCB: When did you realize you wanted to become an
actor? Was it when you were a child or teenager?
Da’non: Yes, I have always wanted to be an actress. I
grew up loving old movies and wanted to go into film. Also, my maternal
grandmother was really funny, and I adored her! When my mother asked me what I
wanted to be when I grew up, I responded, “I want to make people laugh.”
GCB: When was your first time on stage? Do you
remember how you felt?
Da’non: Well, my mother put my sister and me in
ballet, so that was probably the first time, but I hated it! In high school, I
was in a class one-act, and it felt so natural. Later, I participated in college shows, especially in graduate school.
GCB: Did you have anyone encourage you to follow your
dreams of acting? Did anyone try to discourage you?
Da’non: Not really. My mother obviously thought I
would never make a living at it and, basically, she was right. But I have been
active in community theatre for 50 years, and it is super fulfilling.
GCB: Do you prefer comedy roles or more serious
parts?
Da’non: Comedy!! I have had the honor of playing two
dramatic roles in Atlanta in the last few years, and I hope I did them justice,
but comedy is where my heart lies. As I said when I was a child, “I love to
make people laugh.” It’s so rewarding and, hopefully, it lifts people’s spirits
for a time.
GCB: New Orleans gave you many opportunities to perform. You played Chelsea in On Golden Pond at the Rivertown Repertory Theatre in New Orleans. That is the role Jane Fonda played in the movie. Tell us about that experience.
Da’non: That was probably the first dramatic role I ever played. I have predominantly played character comedy roles, so this was a stretch. It was scary, and I didn’t feel confident I could pull it off since I tend to be a bit over-the-top with characters. I think I did okay.
GCB: I’m sure you did well. In Steel Magnolias,
you played the starring role of M’Lynn Eatenton. That is one of my all-time
favorite movies, but I have never seen the play. How did you prepare for that
intense role of the mother whose daughter is dying?
Da’non: I was really surprised to be cast as
M’Lynn. As I mentioned above, I usually play the comic relief, so being cast in this role was both an honor and a challenge. The director helped me with the
scene in which I talk about Shelby’s passing. I remember borrowing a large
man’s plaid shirt from the tech guy to reflect that M’Lynn was wallowing in
grief and shoring up with her husband’s support (i.e., the shirt). I still have
that shirt.
GCB: In another performance of Steel Magnolias,
you played Clarice. Which role did you prefer, Clarice or M’Lynn?
Da’non: Oh, Clarice, of course. Those roles are
written for someone like me who loves building characters and is basically the
comic relief. It was a blast!
GCB: When you left New Orleans, what age were you?
Where did you go next and why?
Da’non: I was in 8th grade. We moved to
Louisville, Kentucky when my mother remarried. It was a wonderful experience
because it meant I would go to a co-ed high school instead of an all-girls school, as was the case in New Orleans at the time. I was boy-crazy,
so I loved the idea!
GCB: You played in 13 shows in Chicago and 15 shows
in Los Angeles. Did you have an agent? If so, when did you get one and what was
the process of finding one?
Da’non: Oh, boy. Agents are problematic. At least for
me. My best agent ever was originally in New Orleans, and she and I worked
great together. However, my agents in Chicago and L.A. really did nothing for
me. I had an agent in Atlanta but dropped her because of the same reason. I
currently have an agent in New Orleans.
Bottom line, I don't think it was meant for me to be
a famous, paid actress. I am good with that and love doing community theatre. I'd still love a recurring role on a streaming show that I could retire from without too much worry, but so does every actor in the world!
GCB: It is never too late. With your talent, that
might come true.
Da’non is a busy actress and is often cast in shows in the
Atlanta area. She has been cast in an upcoming play, but it has not been made
public yet, so she can’t tell me anything.
I'll keep my readers informed as soon as I know more. Thank you, Da’non, for taking
the time to do this interview. I look forward to seeing your next play.

No comments:
Post a Comment
I really appreciate your reading my posts and leaving your comments. It means so much to me to hear from you. .