Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, February 29, 2024

DISABLED BUT DETERMINED - a week after extreme surgery on my shoulder

My dear readers,
I have use of one hand only. I had a fall about three weeks ago and was taken to the ER in Cumming, GA where I and my family spent four hours. 
At 2:30 AM we came home, my left arm in a sling, on pain meds with an appointment to see an orthopedist for my shoulder which ex-rays showed was broken.

It was a major break in the humerus bone and cup where it fits. The joint had to be replaced.

For a week I lived with great pain, my arm clasped to my side in a sling. I went in for surgery at 5:30 AM on February 15. I did not want to stay overnight in the hospital and was dismissed to come home. 
Immediately, we began icing the site. I continued with opioids day and night.

Gay, my dear sister, stayed with me 24/7. 
The following week was abysmal. Nausea, vomiting, no appetite, and my entire gastric system had failed. I was so sick I was taken back to the ER but this time to Wellstar in Roswell. More tests were done but no help.

The rudest nurse I ever met was my nurse in the ER. Not the entire staff, but this nurse REFUSED to help me get off the bed.
 "You got on that bed by yourself, you can get up."
As Gay reached to help me, she was told to leave me alone. I only had use of one arm, and the back of the bed was leaned back.

I had been brought in by two extremely caring and careful ambulance workers.
They had helped me onto the bed.

I reached for my sister and she helped me off the bed and into the bathroom. The surly nurse did not offer any help at all.

Once again I realized why one must have a family member or good friend present with the patient at the hospital because older people are often treated badly by staff. This woman was paid to care for me, but she refused. When I am able I will report this.

The worst experience I had was the week following the surgery. I have learned but, was not told to expect, the repercussions of anesthesia. 80 percent of surgical patients suffer horrible gastric problems and the meds offered do not help at all!

At my post-op visit, the surgeon said that the nerve block I was given likely damaged a nerve in my chest area making it difficult to breathe.

It would have been very helpful to know that. it might have prevented that trip to the ER.















;

9 comments:

  1. Oh Glenda. I feel for you as I read this post. I hurt my shoulder when I fell off my bike and required six months of physio to repair it. I couldn’t do much to help myself initially, such as get out of bed or get dressed. I cannot even imagine the pain you experienced. Excruciating for sure.

    The nurse you encountered is beyond words!

    You have a wonderful sister, a blessing for certain.

    I pray you will heal quickly and make a full recovery, Glenda. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie. Being helpless is no fun.

      Delete
  2. Good lord! The pitfalls of modern medicine! (nerve block)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Stop by again.

      Delete
  3. I found you via your comment on *Eye On the Edge*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, definitely follow up on that nurse. A letter to the hospital administrator is a great start. A formal complaint to the State Board that regulates nursing standards and conduct is another. Yelp is another option.

    I hope your recovery is going well.

    Bill McDonald
    Morongo Bill's Channel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bill. Good ideas.

      Delete
  5. I hope your shoulder is healing well, Glenda. It was so good to see you at Raven's memorial. Hope to see you this weekend again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was good to be back and to see my writer friends in Hayesville. I miss you all and appreciate your comments here.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.