Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, April 30, 2023

Books and Movies, Hosta and Deer


Today I watched a documentary on Judy Blume, author of children's books for people much younger than I. Her books written and published in the seventies and eighties shocked many adults because she covered themes that girls and boys wanted to know about, and had questions about, but didn't feel they could ask about. The iconic, best-selling author crafted heart-warming tales for younger children that are filled with humor and honesty and reveal what it's really like to be a little kid figuring out the world. She became very popular. She went on to write adult novels in her later years. She is 85 years old now.

I was not familiar with Blume but I did know she was a popular writer. The documentary is extremely interesting. I always enjoy reading or learning about why or how someone becomes a writer and especially how they become a famous writer. The movie, based on one of her books, Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret is playing at our local movie house this weekend. I wonder if the children, now grownups, who read her books, will see the movie. 

I wish Blume's books had been around when I was a child. She covers many of the things I wondered about but didn't know how to ask a grownup. I have not read her books but heard in the documentary that she wrote about sex, menstruation, breast development, bullying, and other things that parents seldom discuss with their children. Most kids are left to learn from other children who don't always know the correct information. 

I plan to go to the movies Sunday afternoon, but I want to see Air with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. I like both these actors but I don't see them in many movies because I don't like most of the shows they play in. Modern movies with all the special effects, violence and gore don't interest me, but I have been told Air is about relationships and that will be interesting to me. I have seen some interviews with both of the main stars and enjoyed them. 

Life has been quite busy since I got back to Hayesville. I am trying to save my hosta plants from the deer. They got three of my pretty ones, but I have purchased some deer repellant and sprayed the others twice and so far the deer have not eaten them. I think I might need to spray again tomorrow since we are having rain tonight and in the morning. 

Hosta

If the hungry deer eat my hosta I have more potted on my deck. The deer can't get on my deck. When I got back from Georgia, I found the deer had eaten the lower half of my rhododendrons, my ground cover in front of the house, and stripped my rose bushes of all greenery.  

I love to watch the deer as they pass by on the ridge every day, but I don't want them in my yard. Some people say they eat our bushes because they are overcrowded in the woods and don't have enough to eat. But my deer have a big farm with green pasture next door to my place. Maybe I need to put up a sign that says: Attention deer, green grass this way> and point it to Mr. Hindman's farm.

Lexie says it is time to go to bed now so I guess she is right.  I need to go to sleep before 1:30 AM. so I can get up tomorrow and go to the movie. 

Until next time, hope you enjoy spring and all mother nature brings into your life. 
Thanks for reading my posts. I enjoy hearing from you.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy the movie - and can discourage the deer. I am smiling at your idea of a sign for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been an interesting documentary. I have not read Judy Blume but I know my daughters have because just last week I found some more books by her on the shelves. I don’t have any of her books for adults, though. I did read that she was pretty upset that the Governor of Florida wants her books banned from libraries. I don’t understand banning books in 2023, but in Florida it’s flourishing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smile when you write about the deer. I have never lived where there are deer and can only imagine what you describe. Glad you are doing well and keeping busy, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will be able to see the movie, "God, are you there, it's me Margaret," based on Judy Blume's book. I've read a lot of her books and love them. This movie is a coming of age chick flick. I think you would like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Glenda: Thanks for your comments. Brenda I want to see that movie based on Blume's book. I guess these narrow minded people will try to ban her books but after all these years it seems they were only helpful and not harmful to children, Vagabonde. In fact now that I know so much about her, I want to read some of her books. Marie. So far my deer repellant is working. They have not eaten the hosta I sprayed. I see them every day but they are not in my yard.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.