Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Christmas lights in the city

Tonight Gay and Stu and I had dinner out. Then we rode around Roswell to see all the homes decorated for Christmas. The houses were strung with white lights from top to bottom and many pretty scenes were set on the front lawns. Some were overdone for my taste and some were simply beautiful. Many had Santa and the Nativity Scene on their lawns, but not together, thank goodness.

I was told that the tall rooftops were adorned by companies that are paid to fasten those strands of lights and I wonder about the cost. I don't have much decoration for the holidays here in my apartment, but I have enough to look festive. I think I might string some lights on my little deck overlooking the lake.

In years past, Barry hung lights on our upstairs and downstairs decks. We have a wreath on the wall of the top deck. It is dark this year. I am a little nostalgic for the way we celebrated Christmas in years gone by when Barry was still a part of me. 

We participated in the music for church, singing special songs all during the month of December. We sang in the choir and for several years Barry was the choir director for our little Presbyterian church in Hayesville. Though small, we had a loyal and devoted group who practiced every Sunday and when we were planning for our cantata, we rehearsed for weeks. 

Barry also sang in a men's group, The Singing Disciples.  
Singing makes you happy. I was always happy at Christmas in our house in the mountains. 


1995, our first Christmas in our mountain house


Barry loved Christmas and never minded going to get a live tree, hauling it up the stairs, and fitting it into a stand. It was lots of work. 

It has become evident to me that when we get older, we have to face the inevitable -- Live trees are too much physical effort for us. In 2008, after he became ill, we bought an artificial tree. It seems like a rite of passage to elderhood. 

Last year Gay and Stu finally gave up the live tree, too. I have given away my most treasured ornaments. I won't be decorating another tree. 

In the years after Barry died, I put up a small tree on a table. I decorated it with tiny ornaments and it was pretty. Gay came and helped string lights on my deck. I liked to have my women writer friends over for a Christmas luncheon. We had such a good time. I miss those days.

But life is different now.  The only thing that never changes is CHANGE. It happens all the time and we must accept it if we are to continue living and doing what is important to us. Every day I find something good in my life and realize that I am surrounded by love and caring people. What more could I ask for?

I hope you, my dear readers, have a safe and happy holiday season filled with love and joy. I hope we can all put aside our differences and remember to love one another as friends, family, or neighbors. 


THE SINGING DISCIPLES
Barry is the second man, left side, second row



4 comments:

  1. Hugs. Barry will always be a part of you. An important part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, EC. Barry is with me still.

      Delete
  2. Great memories of a wonderful man! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Christmas was good and filled with love and laughter as we celebrated together. I greatly miss those who have gone on at Christmas, but I am grateful for my sister, BIL and my niece and her family who invite me to celebrate with them.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.