Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, May 14, 2022

The Good and the Bad this Week

With my nomad lifestyle the past year, I have not yet created my deck garden. Not long enough in one place is my excuse. But, my dear friend, Joan Howard, poet, brought me these lovely peonies in this precious vase. Aren't they beautiful?

My kind helper, Anne, bought geraniums for my deck before I got back home to Hayesville, and she potted a few more flowers. 

I am so happy I have these bright spots in my life because the past week, my first week back home in the mountains has been extremely stressful.

I came home to find that my well water smelled like sulfur. When I turned on the hot water faucet, black dirty water rushed out. I turned on the hot water in my shower and it filled my tub with awful dirty water. 

I was dismayed, to say the least. I called my friend, John who helps me out of jams when I don't know what to do. He suggested I call the company that drilled my well when the old one dried up. He also said, don't drink the water. I was not about to do that. My brother-in-law told me the same thing, Don't drink the water!  Well, I am not as dumb as I look, fellows.

To make a long story shorter, I have been without drinkable water for five days. I boiled water on the stove to wash dishes and to use for cooking. When I finally found someone, a plumber, to come and see my dilemma, he said I needed a top-of-the-line chlorinating system to kill what was in my pipes and my hot water heater. He could not put it in until Friday and it would take him all day. I would be without any water for several hours. The price of this system is outrageous, but I pray that it solves my water problems. Joe, the plumber is a very caring man and is determined to get everything working right. The system is from Chem Free. 

Another stressor was the loss of my cell phone. 
I had lunch on Sunday with two dear friends at a fine restaurant in Hiawassee. On Monday I realized my phone was missing. My first thought was that it fell out of my handbag when I put it on the floor beside my chair. I called but could not get anyone at the restaurant. My friend called and could not talk to anyone. I knew they had strange hours there but I went over to see if I could find my phone. The doors were locked and I could not find anyone to ask.

Today an angel of a young man called me from my cell phone. His name is Zachery and he works at the restaurant. He said, "I found your phone Sunday after we closed and put it in the Lost and Found drawer. Today I just happened to open that drawer and saw it was still there. It was still charged so I called the number you had listed under Home. I'm sorry I didn't do this sooner but thought you might have picked it up."

I wanted to give that nice young man a big hug. I hope I can find out the name of his boss and write a note to him. 

So, all is well that ends well. 
A plumber and a caring young man made my day on Friday. I will sleep much better tonight even though Joe said I shouldn't drink water from my well for two weeks. It will take that long for the system to clean all the pipes. 

I am looking for a calm and peaceful weekend.
Readers, have you ever had to live without safe water for five days or longer? Have you ever lost your phone for days before it surfaced? 


Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that your phone has been recovered and that you have water again.

Marie Smith said...

I felt so sad reading about the water situation but the plumber sounds hopeful and the young man restores our faith in humanity. I hope, in spite of the water situation, there is a better week in store for you! Take care.

Glenda Beall said...

EC, Thanks. I will be glad when I am told my water is safe to drink again.

Glenda Beall said...

Thanks, Marie. I know all will be better this week. It was such a relief to have my phone again and to stop worrying that someone might have it and use it to steal my identity or worse.

Abbie Taylor said...

I've never been without drinkable water or lost my cell phone. It sounds like you had quite a week. Glad everything's working out now.

Glenda Beall said...

Abbie, thanks for stopping by. I am glad you never faced my recent challenges though I am sure you have had your share. I like your positive attitude and it was good to see you on Writers' Night Out Zoom reading.

Abbie Taylor said...

It was my pleasure, Glenda. Will see you tomorrow.

Pamela said...

My daughter and family (who live the next town over) had to stop drinking the water for months (the entire town did because the "numbers" weren't as they should be, according to the town). They bought loads of water bottles and eventually put in a filtration system for the kitchen sink, a few days before the water problem was rectified. Annoying, yes, particularly with three kids and two dogs, but they managed. Losing a phone is losing a lifeline these days. I lost one a few years ago at a SPA - Id left it in the white robe they gave out. Hours later I race to the spa to find the phone and miraculously it was in the pile of used robes, about to be placed in a large washing machine. Phew! Hope you are soon have fresh usable water!

Glenda Beall said...

Pamela, what luck you found your phone before it went into the laundry with the robe. I really needed my cell phone because I accidentally deleted all my contacts on my landline recently. I thought I was deleting the spam calls that had accumulated while I was gone, but instead deleted all my contacts. So my cell is the only thing with all my contacts.
I left home and went to Gay's in Roswell and hope when I get back I can feel safe using my water. But glad I don't have kids or anyone else to deal with. It is just me and Lexie and she does very well. Thanks for leaving a comment.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Oh, my! I'm so sorry you had those problems, Glenda. Thank goodness things finally worked out. I know it was very stressful, but all is well that ends well.

Glenda C. Beall said...

Brenda Kay, thanks for your comment. I am glad that ordeal is over. Just keeping my fingers crossed there won't be another.