Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, May 28, 2022

A Horrific Day with More Children Killed

We grieve in my country for the loss of those precious children in Texas this week. 
How many times do we have to cry and get angry and feel helpless because those people in Washington, the people we voted in to protect us, will do nothing to stop the proliferation of guns which makes us the most violent country in the world? 

England, France, Spain, and other European countries don't have this problem. Canada and Australia don't have this problem. Only us. The U.S.A. Over 400 senseless killings of ordinary people like you and me, going about their daily lives, have occurred in one year.

If I was a young parent of school-age children, I would never send them to school. It seems that school is the most dangerous place a child can spend time. The biggest cause of the death of children now is mass shootings in schools.  Not disease, not car accidents, not drowning, but school shootings.

I was a school teacher for little children for 15 years. 
I would not be a teacher in today's climate. Some lunatics have the nerve to say teachers should carry guns to protect the children and themselves. How stupid is that? I can tell you, as a former teacher and someone who can shoot a snake if I have to, there is no way I would carry a gun hoping to protect my students and myself. What could a teacher with a handgun do against an AR-15 or whatever those murder weapons are called?

I don't know what has come over the people in Texas to elect such a radical governor and have laws passed that let a child purchase a murder weapon legally. If the gun manufacturers and those selling guns cared one bit about the safety of people and especially little children, they would restrict gun ownership themselves. 

If I was a mean-spirited person, I would wish that all those who are against gun control would suffer losses from guns like the devastated parents who have to bury their babies. I wonder if those who have lost children to this murderer would say, "We have the right to keep and carry guns anywhere and anytime we wish."

If people like Ted Cruz and others of his ilk keep spouting, guns don't kill people, we the people must vote them out of office. They should not be representing the American people.

I wonder if Ted Cruz ever goes to the scene of a shooting and tries to comfort people by telling them, "Well, we know guns don't kill people. People kill people."

Although I try to stay away from politics on this blog, I am upset about the violent society and that there are not enough people in Congress who care and want to do something about it. My heart hurts for those mothers and fathers who send their little ones off to school wondering if they will come home at the end of the day. 

This kind of danger could happen right here in our own county schools, in our little town in North Carolina. The seams of this county are busting with all kinds of guns and an angry teenager could easily go to his father's gun cabinet, take out a rifle that he has used when out with his dad, and destroy lives in the school he has always attended. I can hear the locals say, "That wouldn't ever happen in our county or town." But it could.

I know most of my readers are grieving for those little kids. I taught fourth grade, ten-year-olds, and all day I have been picturing myself in the situation where those teachers were in Uvalde, Texas. Helpless and scared to death, knowing there was no way they could save their students.

I am going to write to my senator and representatives who are among those who will not vote for gun control. Maybe my voice will not make a difference, but I am going to say what I think and what I want from them. We the people who care can make a difference by voting out those who are in the pockets of the NRA. We have an enemy and that is the National Rifle Association. 

Take care, my friends. Be safe and leave your thoughts for me in the comments.





4 comments:

  1. Here in Australia we had ONE mass shooting. Gun restriction rules were put in place. And remain.
    Sadly, I don't think your country is going to change any time soon. And can see absolutely no reason (second amendment or not) why any civilian needs an assault weapon. The gun culture is totally alien to me and as we see reports and grieve with and for the victims and their families I am glad of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you good luck in the fight against gun insanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EC, when I hear how your country acted to stop mass shootings, I get even angrier at the leaders of our country who will do nothing. Now some say it is the fault of the school because a door was unlocked. How ignorant or stupid is that?

    When I taught school, I had a child with serious home issues. He was always angry and lived with his grandparents. When I suggested he get counseling, he grew angry at me and I called the principal. He pushed her and knocked her down. He ran out and she called the police. I never saw the child again. I know kids can be full of anger and rage. But back then a child could not go out and buy a machine gun to murder many people. It was not cool to post online your intentions and get encouragement from others who are in the same condition.
    Thanks for your comment.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie, thanks for your good wishes. It must be nice to live in such a nice play as you live and not have to fear the gun fanatics like in the US.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.