Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, January 22, 2022

Home Sweet Home is where I hang my hat

Back from the city tonight. It is always good to get back home, isn't it? Even though I love my little apartment with Gay and Stu, it was good to turn into my driveway, open my door to the warm and cozy cabin where I spent so many happy years with Barry - and with Kodi and with Rocky, my canine family members.

As I get used to my second home, will I feel the same way each time I leave it and return? Having been gone so long, I was concerned about the heat, the water and the entire house. But no need to worry. My gas heat had kept the house warm enough to protect the water pipes. If the power went off during the big snowstorm while I was gone, I haven't seen any signs so far.

I will miss hearing Gay's voice, "Glenda! Are you up yet?" as she came downstairs in the mornings. She is a morning person unlike me. She wakes up ready to go. I don't want to talk to anyone until I have had my breakfast. My brother, Ray, was the same way. He just would not talk to anyone first thing in the morning. We all learned not to try to engage him until he had finished breakfast and indicated he was ready to talk.

At some time in utero, my time clock got mixed up. Even as a child I could not go to sleep until the wee hours of the morning. That was why I hated going to school. I had to get up after a few hours of sleep and Mother insisted I eat although I was not hungry at 6:30 in the morning. I was tired and sleepy when the bus arrived at seven o'clock. Over the years I have suffered insomnia which made it difficult for me to get up and get to a job on time. In college, by two or three in the afternoon, I had to go to sleep. Others did not understand why I "slept so much." But I was just not getting enough sleep at night. 

I begin to feel energized around 5:00 PM. That is why I can sit up until three a.m. working on my writing or anything that I am interested in while the rest of the world sleeps. Don't expect me to be lively before noon. In recent years, my sleep time has become 3:00 AM until around noon or even later. I don't choose that schedule. It has chosen me. However, one of the good things about being a "senior adult" or "mature adult", I make my own schedule. 

Sometimes I have to agree to a morning appointment with a doctor, but I insist it not be before 11:00 o'clock. I just tell the person who is scheduling appointments that I don't do mornings. "I am not a morning person," I tell them and they make the effort to accommodate me. 

This doesn't mean I have never seen a sunrise. I have seen many beautiful ones because I never went to sleep before dawn. I vividly remember going outside and sitting on the front porch steps when I was a young girl. Remember, I lived on a farm and there were no cars going by, no people anywhere near our house. It was so still that every sound was from nature; birds singing, frogs croaking out their good mornings, maybe a horse or cow munching on the grass they had bitten off. Crickets sang their songs also.

The sky to the east would begin to lighten. Rays would streak the darkness like the spires of a church. Soon the pastel colors appeared as though painted by a giant hand -- pink, yellow, pale blue, lavender, all blended on a huge canvas that mesmerized me, a skinny kid in her nightgown sitting on a cold concrete step watching the world wake up. 

I have seen a few sunrises here in the mountains, but I see more sunsets and they are also beautiful. 
Barry made many photographs of the mountain sunsets. We shared those joys together as we sat on our upper deck among the treetops. In the early days here, we had a gorgeous view of Lake Chatuge and beyond. Past our view of the lake are the Georgia Appalachian mountains. Brasstown Bald, the highest peak in the state of Georgia, sits directly south of us and on the other side of Lake Chatuge. 

In the city, I don't have that view, although I do have a small lake down the hill. Wild animals frequent the lake and the wooded property that belongs to my brother-in-law and my sister. Deer pass by often, herons and mallards spend much time there. A giant owl visited one afternoon and sat on the lower deck for a long time. 

In the spring I plan to put out bird feeders, especially hummingbird feeders
I also want to plant flowers that attract butterflies. I get excited just thinking about it.

Yes, even though it is quite cold here now, spring is just around the corner waiting to declare its glory. Gardeners will swarm all over the nurseries and bring home their favorites. I will look first for my red geraniums which grow so well on my deck here in the mountains. I have no place to winter my flowers so I treat my geraniums as annuals.




As you can tell, I am looking forward to spring and planting my deck gardens, one in the mountains and one in the city. 
I am optimistic about spring 2022, and I hope it will be healthy for all of us.  Let me hear from you.
What do you like about spring and what are your plans?











11 comments:

  1. I also suffer from insomnia. At the opposite end of the day. These days I am usually up well before four, and beat the sun by several hours. There is a reason so many cultures have and do use sleep deprivation as torture. It is.
    Enjoy your planning for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a night owl too, although I get more sleep at night than you do by the sound of it. I never see sunrises. My husband, who is a morning person, never sees sunsets. He is ready to go the moment his foot hits the floor at 3:30 a.m.

    He was always up first and ready for work, out the door and in his classroom two hours before students arrived. He’d be dressing in our bedroom, talking, talking, talking and I would hear something through the haze but rarely respond. That was not the time to discuss major life events! Lol. We managed and retirement has made it easier to work the sleeping schedules. Naps any time work well with us.

    Spring is just over the horizon…yay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy planting my front porch flowers. I also treat my geraniums as annuals, but it's because I'm lazy. As someone who rises early and goes to bed early too, I have trouble thinking about staying up late. However, my hubby does and usually comes to bed without my even noticing when. It works fine for us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. EC, I have had those nights when I awake way before dawn and can't get back to sleep. That usually happens when I am worried about something or someone. No matter what or when I don't get at least 8 hours of sleep, I have take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, my husband was early to bed, too,and he always had to get up early for work. When he retired, he slept a bit later, but could not understand why I didn't go to bed when he did. If I did go to bed early, I kept him awake tossing and turning due to not being sleepy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DJan, I am glad you and SG are fine with those different sleeping hours. When my husband traveled so much for work, I stayed up late and got lots of writing done. And when I had to go to work in the mornings, I tried not to stay awake because I needed my sleep even though I had to get up early. Lately, I listen to books on Audible, and often that helps me go to sleep a bit earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Glenda. I'm glad you made it home safely. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Abbie. Thank you for stopping by. I can't seem to leave a comment on your blog on WordPress but I read your blog and leave comments on your FB page. It is an interesting blog with so many various topics. Hope you haven't caught the virus with all the places you go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I haven't gotten COVID yet, but I've had a couple of scares. In fact, I just found out that one of the gals in my singing group was diagnosed this morning. We were all together Saturday. She was coughing, which was the first clue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Abbie, you looked healthy this morning on Mountain Wordsmiths, so hope you don't get COVID.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. Yes, I'm healthy. So far, I haven't had any symptoms. So, I doubt I will now. I think being fully vaccinated helps. I enjoyed seeing you this morning and hearing you read your work.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.