Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Grieving over what we lost January 5

Like so many Americans, I am sick about what happened in our Capitol.
It was horrifying to me. How could these rioters break into our government buildings? What will happen now? Will this seditious act bring our legislators together, make them work together now to heal this division in our country? I can only hope.

It seems that among the peaceful protestors were hate groups who have grown rapidly in the past four years. I am sure those who were there to govern for us were frightened for their lives and angry that they had to leave their posts to a mob of angry dangerous people who had no regard for them or the United States seat of government. The legislators were meeting to count the electoral college votes and to pronounce the final decision in the presidential election. This was to be the ceremony that takes place every four years no matter who is elected president.

The fact that both houses of Congress were in the building when the attack took place gives me chills. This attempt to force a change in the recent election is something unheard of in a democracy like ours. We are known as the example to all the world of the way citizens in a democracy change leadership peacefully as we have done for over two hundred years.

I find myself grieving for something we have lost, something extremely important to all of us. While there are those who say it was no more than a romp of a protest gone wrong, I feel far differently as do most of my friends. Five people died there and that was awful, but the fact that we have people in this country who want to overthrow our way of life, our government, is what has me feeling like there was a death of someone I love.

Where do we go from here? What do these people who were screaming at the cameras want? I am not sure they know. Some said they were following their "commander's orders."

My fear is that there is a darker, more malicious group using these protesters as a cover to see how far they can go. Could there have been people in that crowd with thumb drives to steal important information from the computers in the empty offices. They would not have been yelling into the microphones and cameras as those who wanted to be seen and be on screen. The more sinister types would move quietly and stealthily using the loud ones as cover. Could this have been a far more dangerous attack than we know? Only time will tell as the investigation continues.

My hope is those good people who supported the president in the past will recognize the way his words whipped up the crowd to do real harm. My friends who voted for Trump are not rioters and criminals and would not have tried to overthrow our government. 

When we let politics transform us into people like those we saw on camera January 5, we must stop and decide who we really are. Is one person able to change us into someone who lives in fear, to someone who distrusts everything in our world? We must not be caught up in a mob society, and become brain-washed like gang members in the big city. 

We are good people. We love more than we hate. 
With cable news, online trouble makers, and talk radio, it is easy to fall into a place where we find others who are unhappy or complaining about everything. Especially with the restrictions of the pandemic, more people are at home watching TV all day. What they watch or who they listen to for hours every day will change them into followers instead of free thinkers. I know some men sit in front of FOX news all day long. Their anger is going to be aroused, they will be taught to hate people they have never met. I am sure the same thing happens to people who are obsessed with other networks. Moderation, folks.

I am grateful I was born in the United States of America and that I have had the freedom and opportunities to do what I want with my life. I am grateful that I have a home, a car, and loved ones who care about me. (that includes Lexie)

Doing what I can provide for those who have needs brings me joy. I don't judge others by their religion, their political opinions, their race, creed or color. I choose friends who are open-minded and who love their fellow man. I like people who don't judge others because of who they love, who are empathetic and caring of those who face injustice or those who have no voice in society. If we reach out to help others, we help our country, our community, and sometimes, the world.

I have been judged and hurt by people who pretended to be my friend while doing harm behind my back. But I have not lost my trust in my government, in leaders who show me they care about me, and who want to make lives better for all of us.  Although I think the news media and online publications have too much influence, I don't let myself become afraid of everything and distrustful of what has worked in this country for a long, long time.

Change is inevitable. Change is constant. Things will change. 
If we don't like changes we can do little but accept them if the rest of society wants them. We don't give one person control of change in this country.

The people rule by making decisions at the polls on election day. Our elections are fair and moderated carefully. Sometimes my favorite wins and sometimes my pick doesn't make it. But, in the end, the voices of the people in this country have the final say. That is who we are and I hope it never changes. 







   

2 comments:

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.