Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, December 13, 2020

Terry Kay, a favorite Georgia author

It is three o'clock in the morning and I am not in bed asleep. For the past two days, I have been fighting illness and sleeping all the time. Now I feel better and don't want to sleep.

I am sad tonight because I learned that a wonderful Georgia author, Terry Kay, passed away yesterday. Having been a long time fan of his books, I was overjoyed when he accepted my invitation to be a presenter at our writing conference, A Day for Writers, in 2019. It was a one-day event held in Sylva, NC a long drive from Athens, Ga where Terry lived. The group of about fifty writers was excited to hear him speak. His classes were filled. He stayed with us till we adjourned about 4:30 PM. I know he was tired when he left to make the drive home. 

I tried to be in his audience as much as possible and still monitor the conference, answer questions, and talk with people who needed me. I often refer to the notes I took that day. I use them in teaching others who want to write. 

Terry was a good friend of Pat Conroy who had died a short time before our conference. We enjoyed hearing him tell tales about Pat. He said Pat was the one who actually started him writing fiction. Terry was working as a journalist with an Atlanta Newspaper and did not believe he would be a good fiction writer, but Pat knew he would. So, without Terry knowing, Pat maneuvered a way to have him asked to write a fiction piece. Once he found he could write fiction and people liked the way he wrote, he published twenty books or more. His book, To Dance with the White Dog, was made into a movie. That movie, in 1990, based on his own father, introduced him to many who had not known his writing.  It was a favorite of mine.

My friend and fellow writer, Estelle Rice, has long been a fan of Terry Kay's books. Estelle was in her nineties and not driving anymore but when she learned that one of her favorite authors would be presenting at our conference, she asked her daughter to take her.

Terry was relaxed and casual. He answered questions in his classes. Estelle sat in a wheelchair on the front row. She and Terry got on well and talked quite a bit. It was a day she will always remember. I know she is saddened to hear of his passing.

Sometimes I have to pinch myself to be sure I haven't dreamed the good fortune I've had in meeting successful writers and poets who impacted my life. I am a people person. Writers, especially, intrigue me and I like getting to know their stories. I hope you will read some of Terry Kay's books and also Pat Conroy's books. Both of them are outstanding southern writers. 

Terry Kay signing a book for me at a writing conference in Blairsville, GA








4 comments:

  1. It does sometimes feel that we are losing to many of the good people doesn't it? People who will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely check out Terry Kay's books. Thank you for the recommendation. I think I have already read all of Conroy's works. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of Terry’s passing. I will check out his books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone for your comments about Terry Kay. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.