Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, May 3, 2020

How can we make our life a lesson for others? This is a good time to try..

A reader sent these words to me: Like the ripples on the surface of a pond, your words have effects far beyond those you first see.

At times I feel as I did when I taught elementary school children. "Am I making any difference? Does what I say or do have any effect?

But then I receive emails from people I hardly know, and I realize that my words reflect who I am and in doing so, total strangers find me approachable. 

I have had emails from my blog readers who said they were writing to me because they had no one else to talk to, and they thought I would understand. And after writing, they said they felt much better.  

I would not be any more pleased if I had written a best selling novel.
To know that I come through in my writing as a person who cares for others, is the reason I write. Empathy and compassion are the two most becoming traits in my friends. 

I met with a person whose book I am working on, helping her prepare it for publication, and we sat and talked for two hours or more. I learned how we are similar in many ways, although we see some parts of our culture through different lenses. 

I find her to be a deeply thoughtful person who cares for others but doesn't always understand those who are in need. I smile when I think about her saying, "Why do they need ten handicapped parking spots in front of the gym? There are not that many handicapped people in there at the same time."

But I see why. Handicapped doesn't necessarily mean people who must use a wheelchair. I have a handicap placket on my window. I can't walk long distances, and if all the reserved places are taken, I leave and come another day. I don't need a wheelchair, but I cannot walk a long distance because of hip and knee problems. My respiratory disability comes under the ruling for Americans with Disabilities Act. 

My physical therapist and I were in our local grocery store at the same time. I was in a mobile grocery cart. I smiled and waved and so did she. She is young, athletic and is a runner and a hiker. When she saw me a few days later at my physical therapy appointment, she chastised me. "Did I see you riding while buying groceries," she said. She is constantly telling me, "Glenda you have to keep moving."
"Yes, I always ride because the store is large and floors are hard on my feet. I am afraid I will be somewhere in the store when the peripheral neuropathy hits my feet and makes me unable to walk. I would have to sit on the floor until someone came to fetch me." I don't look like I have any problems. I almost always have a smile on my face, but the invisible illnesses we often endure have to be planned for. 

Some of us who have breathing problems, either COPD or Multiple Chemical Sensitivity as I do, find we don't have the stamina to walk the entire grocery store lanes, so we use the mobile carts. We might look healthy, but many of us have what is called "invisible illnesses."

Instead of being judgmental of others and assuming the worst, I wish people would assume that anyone parking in a handicap space has to use it because they have a disability of some kind whether it is visible or invisible. The driver might open her door, get out and walk, unattended into the store. But if you follow her, you will likely see her find a motorized cart which she uses to make her way around the store to shop. She might have arthritis which is extremely pain when she walks.

We are so quick to jump to conclusions before we know the facts, the truth that we can't see. In the coming months and years, many of us will suffer effects of this pandemic both mentally and physically. We hear that often this virus damages organs in the body and have a permanent affect.

I hope we will all be more sympathetic with our friends and with total strangers. 

We are suffering grief, frustration, fear and anxiety because of this virus that has swept not only our country but the entire world, and the prognosis is not so good. The experts say that many more will fall ill and die in the next two years. That dire prediction weighs heavy on all of us. 

I have benefited from the outpouring of love and caring of many friends and family. I have tried to reach out to others who are alone and sad, and I hope my readers know I am grateful for you and your comments on my blogs. Communication is extremely important now although we might not feel like talking on the phone or writing to a loved one. When we reach out to others, we also benefit in different ways. I like to use USPS and send notes, cards and long letters. I hope others like to do that. Over 60 percent of Americans said on a poll that they suffer desperate sadness from being alone. We can help those who are alone by simply giving them a call or sending a newsy email. What other ways can you think of that will brighten someone's day?

We will survive just as our parents and grandparents survived terrible wars that left them rationing food, and staying home, losing jobs and holding their families together under dire circumstances. 

My parents lived during the Great Depression with four children to feed and clothe. They still spoke of the good times they had with Aunt Judy and Uncle Jim who came over to visit. The four of them played croquet in the yard. Simple things can be more fun than big expensive items if we are with the people we
love or enjoy.

I believe we will come out of this better than we were.

I like the quote: Live your life in such a way as to be a lesson for others. 
We can all do that, and in that way make a better world.





5 comments:

  1. Empathy and kindness never go astray, and as a currency buy a whole lot more in my head and heart than money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true that many people who don't look handicapped need those spots. But then again, there are all those who take advantage and simply are too self absorbed to realize that others might need those spaces. I admit to being judgmental when I see someone who is obviously overweight take a spot and then climb on a motorized cart. I can't help but think that it would be better for them to find some way to get more exercise. But you're right: the person might have problems that are not obvious. Thank you for reminding me to be more charitable in my judgments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EC, that is one of the reasons I like you so much. I admire your kindness and empathy and I have that also most of the time. Lately, I find it difficult to feel kindness to the politicians and their decisions during this pandemic that have cost lives and changed lives forever. But when I put myself in the place of some of them, I know I would not want to make those decisions. I have empathy for most people when I see them in trouble, when I see needs, and I want to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJan, we are a culture that judges others and it is hard to recognize it in ourselves some times. I used to judge the rich girls in school and in my mind they had it all and cared nothing for others. But that was not always true. A wealthy woman became a good friend of mine in recent years. She is so giving to others and she feels that people judge her and all people in her economic level. "Why is it always the wealthy people who are blamed for everything?" she once said to me. We see a fat person and automatically think they are lazy. But often they are overweight because of a health problem that we do not see. In fact, they are likely hurting and would love to walk and do what you do, but physically they are unable. I know I would love to be able to walk and push a grocery cart the way I used to do. I wish I could go into stores and not have to wear a mask which I have done for years. But I wear the mask because the stores are so polluted with scented products and chemicals. People often as me, "Are you wearing that mask to protect yourself or to protect us?" I laugh and say I am afraid of you and what you might do to hurt me, so I wear a mask. My mask is pretty, pink and matches many of my clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on struggling to like/respect/admire politicians. Indeed I often think that they are severely lacking on both the empathy and kindness fronts. I wouldn't want their jobs, but I hope I would behave differently if I was in their shoes. I am a work in progress. Always.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.