Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, April 16, 2020

What will you write about this time in your life?

As we write our life stories, what will you say about this crisis, this pandemic and how it affected your life, your family and your friends?

Today my neighbors across the street, Alice and Marsha called to tell me they had baked trout. "Would you like us to bring a trout to you, Glenda? Oh, and it has bones it in, but you have eaten fish with bones before, haven't you?"

Of course I have. We used to have fish fries on the farm in south Georgia. We caught the brim and bass in Major's Pond, a beautiful deep lime sink that stayed full. I don't remember the year my father began stocking the ponds. He stocked this pool of cool quiet water surrounded by trees with limbs hanging over the bank. Few people fished there. The fish grew and grew.

Major's Pond was my little heaven on earth. No human beings around, and only horses and cattle grazing on the tall grass a short distance from the pond. At first, Barry and I fished there on weekends and late in the afternoon after he came home from work. We trailerd our john boat over and settled in for several hours of fishing. Barry fished the shallow water for bass and I fished the deep water for brim. I loved my little rod and reel and, even after all the fishing gear was sold or given away years later, I could not bear to see that little fishing pole go.

The two of us often pulled the boat in after dark and drove home in the pickup with the bright moon shining our way across the fields. We usually had a nice catch that we froze until the day we and our friends could gather for a party. We cleaned and prepared the fish for frying. Our good friends, Mike and Sue, put on a fish fry that should have been written about in Southern Living magazine. 


Mike and his dear wife, Sue, who has passed away and is sadly missed.
Excellent hush puppies, grits and fish fried to perfection.
I don't think I have ever had any as good as the ones we ate sitting around the family pool on the farm. Having our good friends, several couples including Gay and Stu, my sister and her husband, made memorable moments that will stay with me always.
Those were some of the best times in my life.

Back to the present:
The large trout Marsha brought over was very good. I could easily fillet it and avoid bones. Eaten with a sweet potato, it made a great meal. 

Almost every day my neighbors bring over part of a meal they have just cooked. I have enjoyed celery soup, spaghetti bake, and other vegan treats. 

During all the heartache and sickness I see and hear about every day, I try not to feel guilty for enjoying my own life so much. And I wonder why I don't live this way all the time. No pressure, no responsibility for others, no appointments  -- just free time to do as I want. Heck, I am retired, live alone with my little dog, so why don't I live this way all the time?


Are you writing about your life these days?
Want to share?
Leave a comment.






10 comments:

  1. Growing up we often followed my father along the river bank with a frypan. When he caught (rainbow trout usually) was when we ate. Super fresh and simply fried it was delicious.
    I hope that we will be able to write 'I survived'. And I also hope that many of us gain/regain a respect for a simple life focussing on the things which are important to us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I have grown accustomed to my "new normal," I wonder if I will return to my previous active life after all this is over. Writing about it is a great idea. I loved your description of fishing, something I have never done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Glenda, the way you’ve woven favorite memories into today’s pandemic life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda, I'm glad you have something to write about during this period. As for me, with more time on my hands, I've made progress on my next novel, and my local writing groups are meeting via conference call. I'm just keeping on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abbie, I am glad you continue to write. Like me, you are used to being home alone now and with no where to go, it gives us more time to write. Thanks for stopping by and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara, thanks for your comment. I am a memoir writer and most of what I write is filled with memories that linger even after all these years. Hope you are writing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am surprised that you have never fished, DJan,being the outdoor person you are. I would never have thought I would like fishing, but once I started, I loved it. I see you back in your active life when the world gets sane again. But you will find the best in this way of life for now, I'm sure. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your comment E.C.
    Where was the river you followed with your father? Sounds like that would be a great story to write. If you do write it, please let me read it.
    I think we will survive but, I also hope we learn a lesson on what is really important to each of us and also I hope we learn to appreciate other human beings, even those we don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your post, Glenda. It made me hungry for fresh fish, something I have not had in months. I am only writing posts now – am not much of a writer. But I do have to write something in French and I keep putting it off, but I have to do it. It concerns my mother and the way she hid several Jewish girls from the Nazi during WW2. The Holocaust Memorial in Paris would like me to send them the story, or the little I know about it. I may do it soon. What I miss is Georgia because I had friends there. Here in Nashville I know no one and won’t soon with this confinement. I don’t mind being alone, I miss not being able to go to all the different grocery stores, international markets, farmers’ markets and so on. I know they are re-opening Tennessee but I am still afraid to go out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vagabonde, I am so glad you stopped in today. I often crave fresh fish but can't get much around here except the farm raised trout which when cooked right is delicious.I would love to read your story about your mother and her hiding Jewish girls. I am watching a series on PBS about WWII and it really brings home the cruelty done to Jews and the awful fear of the German military.
    I know it must be hard to move to a new city and leave behind your friends. I considered that for a short time, but my friends here in NC mean so much to me I would miss them terribly. If you want to write, just email me. I enjoy corresponding by USPS and by email. Stay inside for a while longer. I, too, am just not ready to go out and mingle with strangers.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.