Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, August 6, 2022

This month I will appear face to face with an audience for the first time in two years.

One of my favorite writers was a southerner named Pat Conroy. When Gay, Stu and I traveled to the coast of South Carolina a few years ago, we visited Beaufort, SC where Pat Conroy lived. This setting was as much a character in his books as was the people, mostly his own family, who lived in that area. 
In the photo above, I am sitting at his desk. I was thrilled to sit where he wrote all those books I still read. 
The desk is in the Pat Conroy Literary Center  created in his memory and for writers who come and visit. We had an interesting tour and learned much about this very talented man whose books were themes for several major movies.



Here I am at the Tri-County Community College in Murphy, NC where I taught for years until the COVID-19 Pandemic shut it down. I really enjoyed those classes, held in the evening, where I met talented and creative people who wanted to write and improve their writing. Our classes were unusual I think because we bonded so well and developed friendships that have lasted. Although the college is open again to regular classes, the community development classes have not begun again.



This is a headshot of me on my deck in the mountains before the pandemic hit us. I was a happy person who always loved to be with people and enjoyed having friends come and sit with me on my deck high in the tree tops. The virus that shook the entire world took a toll on me and most of my friends here in our region of the southern Appalachians.
 
The isolation was difficult for me and having no family nearby, increased my concern about getting sick and possibly dying as so many older people did in 2020 and 2021. I had a dear friend whose husband was in his 90s and had to go to a nursing home in his last months of life. She could not go inside and be with him so she stood outside his window every day, no matter the weather, and brought him tasty tidbits and talked with him. The saddest part was his insistence that she take him home every time she came to visit him. 

During this time our active writing group discontinued our meetings. The library and the colleges where we met were closed to public meetings.

The John C. Campbell Folk School where we had met each month for many years closed also. Our Literary Hour was discontinued. In three counties of North Carolina and the bordering counties of Georgia, we have a large number of writers and poets who thrive on being with each other and critiquing our work together. These writers publish their work in books, magazines, online journals and reviews.

Some found the quiet time of isolation enabled them in their writing. It did not work that way for me. I was shut off from "my people" who were my friends. I was not motivated and fell into a depressive state. 

I contracted COVID early on and suffered from long-term side effects. In 2020, my last living brother also had COVID and from that time on he was in and out of the hospital. His wife of sixty years died in February of 2021. He passed away in February of 2022.

My life has been forever changed. Although I began teaching writing classes on Zoom, I did not make a personal appearance all these months. I am grateful for the opportunity to teach online and to take classes online. 

But on August 18, at 7:00 PM I will be a guest for the evening along with Brenda Kay Ledford, a poet from Clay County NC at the John C. Campbell Folk School for the return of the Literary Hour. Click the link below to learn more.


At the folk school, there is an Open House, a house with no walls, but with a roof and floor. Gatherings have taken place there all summer. Because it is open and has no walls we feel safer from the virus than inside a building. 

We will use this venue for the rest of this year or until it is too cold to meet outside.



Brenda Kay Ledford, award-winning poet and writer
You can read more about this outstanding writer on her blogs.
Find her books on Amazon.com

Brenda and I hope our friends and those who enjoy poetry and hearing good stories will come to the folk school on Thursday evening, August 18. I will share my creative non-fiction and a short story.

For my blogger friends who live too far away to come, I will post one of my stories in a later blog after the eighteenth. 

I hope you have no residual effects of COVID lingering at your house and that you are living your best life each day. 

Don't forget to leave me a comment. It won't appear right away because I must read it first before it goes up. Thanks.

8 comments:

  1. I am happy for you, Glenda. Life is changed but moving forward again, finally! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading with you, Glenda. So glad you will be reading. I always enjoy your work very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today I heard that we are having another surge of COVID in the area. Thank you, EC, I look forward to the 18th and our reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Marie. It seems we take one step forward and three steps back at times, but it has been good that our local writers are meeting again. I am still not comfortable at inside meetings, but at least we can meet outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, thanks for your comment and for visiting my blog. I think we will have a good time next week at the folk school. I look forward to hearing more of your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the kind comments on my blog, Glenda.

    My maternal grandfather was a fisherman and a farmer. He fished early in the morning then worked the fields and crops. They grew enough to feed themselves and the animals. My grandmother helped salt the fish and worked in the fields as well as home. Life was tough but they worked hard to feed the family.

    I smile when I see the farm equipment now and wonder what my grandfather would think. Fishing is going back to hand line fishing like my grandfather did instead of the freezer trawlers which destroyed cod stocks in the early 90s.

    If we live long enough, everything comes full circle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marie,
    We both come from hardy stock, don't we? Today the tractors have enclosed cabs and air conditioning, but what most farmers don't like is tractors and farm equipment that require someone schooled in digital technology to repair the problem. Farmers don't like to waste time waiting for a repairman. They like to be able to correct the problem or use a screwdriver or a wrench to fix things. I remember that my youngest brother had an engineer's mind. He invented ways to repair or make better the tractors and other equipment on our farm. I didn't know that the fishing industry had destroyed the cod supply. Maybe they will learn the old way is the best way after all.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.