Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, August 1, 2022

My name is not Darling

 


While waiting in a small cubical in a huge Atlanta hospital last week a young man prepped me for a test that would take images of my entire upper body, I could not understand why he didn't call me by name. He had my medical records at his fingertips. No, he did not say Glenda, nor Mrs. Beall. He repeatedly referred to me as darling. 

I asked him what his name was and he sloughed me off, but I insisted. When he told me Joe, I said, "Joe, my name is Glenda." 

He laughed. 

He never called me by name as he took blood pressure and inserted an IV in my right arm. He never called me by name after the test was done and he wheeled me out to the waiting room. He only called me darling.

I have written about this before, the way young people often talk down to their elders and speak as if they are talking to a five-year-old.

Because I have a really bad knee that will have to be replaced before too long, I have to use a wheelchair when I go to the huge hospital because it is miles from the entrance to the waiting room to the testing area. Now they see me not only as old, but disabled, too. Anyone who uses a wheelchair knows what I mean. The young tech or nurse doesn't look down to meet my eyes when they speak. They talk to whoever is pushing the wheelchair. 

The latest episode with Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta left me furious!

I called the doctor's office the day before my appointment and asked them if both my niece and my sister could come to the hospital with me. The woman who answered said there would be no problem. I asked because the first time I went there, my brother-in-law, who drove us down there was not allowed inside the hospital. Only my sister could come in with me. He had to go and find a place to wait for the two hours I was there.

I had a good reason for wanting my niece and my sister with me. I was very nervous because these tests are being taken to see if I will need to have surgery. My emotions were right on the edge. My sister is my advocate and my emotional support. My niece drove us down through Atlanta traffic. I needed her to help with the wheelchair and to manage the maze of hallways and lack of signage as we had to find another area, in another connecting building, for a second test after I finished with the first one. 

But the woman at the front desk said NO. Only one person could come into the building with me. No matter what I said, she said no. I told her my doctor's office said it was fine for both my family members to come in with me. She said they would have to send someone from their office on the fifth floor down to her desk to sign something before she could let two people come in with me.

"What if we just went in anyway?" I asked.

"I'll call security and they will take you out."

My niece, Lee, called my doctor's office but had to leave a message. No one from that office ever responded. 

None of us like to deal with the medical system in this country. I have had my share of trying to work with doctors, nurses, technicians and now hospital workers. I hate to go to a hospital for any reason. 

More than one of my family members died because of a medical mistake.

I was sorry when I depended on nurses to look after my mother one night in a hospital in Albany Georgia because I had been there night after night and my family insisted I take a night off and sleep in my own bed.

I hired a nurse to stay with her to be sure she had good care. But in the middle of the night, the hired nurse was down at the nurses station laughing and talking when my elderly and ill mother fell out of the bed. I was incensed and felt terrible that I had left her to strangers. She could have died due to that woman's negligence.

My mother was a victim of elder abuse from a man who was a hospital employee who took her down to have a chest exray. He said I did not need to go. "I will take care of her," he said. I guess he was an orderly.

I waited in the room until he finally brought her back. After he left she told me what happened. "He made me take of my gown and stand against a wall," she said. 

"You mean he had you stand there naked?"

"Yes," she said. I could tell she was mortified.

I confronted a nurse. Was there any reason my mother had to be undressed completely for a chest exray? 

"No," she said.

That evil man just wanted to use his power to humiliate my sweet mother who was helpless in his hands.

I never left my mother alone in the hospital again. 

Now I am the elder and will likely find myself in a huge hospital with no family members with me. Just as when the pandemic was raging and so many older people died alone, the rules continue against family members being present with a patient after visiting hours. 

Maybe I won't have the surgery if it is recommended. I can't bear the thought of being helpless with strangers and with no one there who knows and cares for me.

I left a review on the Piedmont website which tells them why I am upset with them. We will see if it gets any notice. 

Have you ever felt helpless in a medical situation? How do you feel about health care in the United States? 

Pat Reviere Seel wrote a great post about aging women.

https://patriviereseel.com/vanishing-act/

8 comments:

  1. Aaargh.
    Hiss and spit.
    My name is not darling, love, sweetie or dear.
    I took exception to our hospital when they wheeled my mother through the ward (during visiting hours) with her naked behind on display. And took grave exception to the same hospital when they failed to tell me when my partner needed a blood transfusion at 3am one morning - because they didn't realise I would be interested!!!! Patients NEED advocates the world over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanishing Act is so true. And I think "Sweetie" is my most unfavorite one-size-fits-all-women over the age of (what?) 60 or so. I hear and share your frustration with the medical community. I'm beginning to think 'they' are even worse than others when dealing with older people. I've been seeing a PA, and she apparently has her mind made up that everything I went in for a few weeks ago is due to depression and birthdays. I don't believe that's true. My doctor (who's so busy it's not possible to get in to see him for over a month) keeps me informed and involved in my medical care. He listens to me and tells me what he thinks and what he wants to do - but it's ultimately my decision. That's why I've stayed with him for so long. We'll see what the PA has to say in a few days when I see her. I really don't want to change to another medical practice. Pat D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Glenda. I can relate to your sentiments.

    I had a gall bladder attack. Not knowing what it was, I went to the hospital and was being sent home without a diagnosis. It could have been a heart attack for all I knew. I was visiting my mother and she was with me. She had been sent home twice from the same hospital, only to have her gall bladder rupture. She started to turn yellow and was taken there in an ambulance. She almost died. Mom urged me to refuse to leave until we knew what the issue was. I refused to leave. It was early evening by this time and they called in an ultrasound technician to examine my gall bladder. Sure enough it was full of stones. They scheduled me for surgery the next week. My mother’s near dying and my own experience changed how I see the medical system too.

    The condescension and misinformation you experienced were infuriating. A well worded letter to administration would be appropriate. Everyone deserves dignity and respect. Sometimes we have to remind others where they are failing in this regard. They can do better. Attitude is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EC, Thank you. I think we all must push and stress that hospitals let an advocate, a family member, or a close friend, stay in the room with the patient. When my mother was in ICU after a ruptured aneurysm on her carotid artery, my brother saved her life because he was there and he asked questions. When he found out her blood pressure was extremely high, he asked the nurse what the doctor said and she said,"We haven't called him." It was three o'clock in the morning. My brother took charge and demanded she call the doctor at once. My mother was then given medication that probably prevented her from having a stroke or dying. Another reason I insist I have my sister with me if I have surgery and stay overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, I left my last doctor when she turned me over to a very young man who had no clue about what an older woman needs and wants from her health caregivers. He was a sweet person, but no help to me. I feel we must find the right doctor and be able to talk freely with him/her about what we want and need. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, your experience at that hospital is frightening. While we know that since COVID the hospitals have lost employees, it means we have even more reason to have someone with us when in the hospital. I am glad your mom insisted you not leave until you got a diagnosis.

    Last January I went to Urgent Care because I was not home and I felt I had the virus. I was told I did have COVID and I should see my primary care doctor. That was all they did for me. My doctor was in the mountains where I lived, but I was in Roswell GA and had no primary care doctor here. Thankfully, I was able to talk to the assistant to my doc in the mountains and she helped me as best she could. I was able to live through it and not go to the hospital because I was prescribed oxygen to use at home. I was terrified that I would have to go into the hospital here in the city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You say it so well. We elders get no respect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Vicki,
    Society rules say you cannot laugh or make jokes about people of color, people with disabilities, or people who are overweight, but, hey, it is free for all if you want to make jokes about old people. The elderly who should be venerated for their wisdom and knowledge from life lessons are easy to ridicule by anyone who wants to do so. Comedians have long had a field day making fun of older people.

    Where is AARP on this subject? When our large population of people older than 65 make up one of the largest economic groups and spend the most money in this country, why do they get no respect in our society? We should refuse to accept this. Never laugh at the "old man jokes" the senile woman or younger people making fun of older people who don't want to accept all the new trends imposed on us by manufacturers who demand we buy the latest "new and improved" products.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.