Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Women finally found their voices

You can’t escape it. It is the only thing that has bumped Trump off the news.

 It should be top news as many women have come forward to out the power-driven men who have assaulted and abused women for so many years.

When I was a young woman, we had to fend for ourselves the best way we could. We never thought of telling anyone because no one seemed to think it was a big deal. Young women in my own family spoke of how our family chiropractor touched them inappropriately and one said he kissed her. I was shocked that he went so far with them, but I had to admit that his hands touched my backside far more than was necessary. I was bothered by it, but did not know what to do. I felt awkward saying anything to him, and I knew he would act innocent as if it were an accident. When the subject came up at a family gathering, and the girls were irate, the men all laughed as though it was nothing to be concerned about. They really did not feel it was wrong. 

I remember when I attended business functions with my husband; some of the men made sexual advances toward me and made me quite uncomfortable. One old man actually crawled under the banquet table and was touching my legs until I made my husband aware of it. Seems the old lecher was doing that to all the women. Again, he was laughed at and I am sure felt no shame. 

Recently I have heard more and more from women who have been assaulted, or groped in school by boys who felt perfectly within their rights to grab a girl inappropriately against her will. One was pressured to have sex with the boss. She quit her job because of his behavior. I was more dismayed when I learned that someone close to me was kissed by a man she admired, her high school teacher she had respected. 

While I was in college a freshman girl, who had low self-esteem, was gang-raped by boys at a fraternity. She did not report it because she had been drinking and felt she would not be believed. She left school soon after and we did not hear from her again. Looking back now, I hope she found someone to talk to about this horrible thing. I hope she found some help.

Women and girls have endured this type of treatment at the hands of boys and men forever and our culture just accepted it as normal. Many of the men who are now being accused never felt their behavior was wrong. Pinching a girl's behind was not considered wrong. If you ever watched Mad Men, the TV show, you can see what was accepted back in those days.

I have always heard the expression, "She slept her way to the top." It seems that was what Harvey Weinstein told women they must do if they wanted to become a star.  

In the last thirty years as women began to use the same foul language in the work place and tried to act like the men, I think some men took this to mean anything goes even gross sexual conduct.  I am not blaming the victims, but perhaps men have been given the wrong message by some.

Sadly some men who were not perpetual sexual deviants are now being accused of unwanted advances that they never felt were inappropriate. Some sexual comments toward a woman were considered complimentary, not harassment, by men of my generation. In fact, I don't consider it harassment to tell a woman she is pretty or that she looks good. We might be intelligent but still we like to know someone thinks we are good-looking. 

I think the worst behavior is when older men prey on young girls or when they use their power over a woman to coerce her into having sex with them. A young single mother who needs a job to feed her kids can more easily be forced against her will than someone who can just tell her boss where to go and walk out. I was told by a young woman that the man she worked for tried to coerce her into having sex. He was well-known in the community. When she balked he said he would fire her. She said she would tell people about him. He laughed and said, "Nobody will believe you."

Some generations ago something happened to many men in America. They forgot to grow up, to become responsible. Some of my husband's friends acted like they were still in college although they were married and holding down good jobs. These men in their thirties drank to excess and used drugs. They cheated on their wives and thought nothing about it. Their behavior was immature, I thought. 

Men in my father’s generation took on the mantle of fatherhood and manhood and followed the values they had learned from the generation before them. When I think of my uncles, I don’t remember any of them making lewd remarks in front of women or acting macho to impress others. They were men I admired. 

I hope the women coming forth and women sticking together to finally tell about the powerful men who sexually harass and assault them will not be a momentary blip on the conscious of the United States of America. I hope this will be a moment that educates all men; that awakens men with daughters, wives, and mothers and makes this a personal issue. Then these men might grow up and become the men I knew in my father’s generation.

7 comments:

  1. I hope so. I really hope so.
    This obscene entitlement that men felt that they had is not (sadly) an American phenomenon. It seems to happen world wide.
    Enough. More than enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with EC. It must stop, and it will when it becomes unacceptable to do such a ting. I too have experienced it, but almost anyone who grew up in the fifties and sixties experienced it, too. I hope this is a watershed moment. Well written thoughtful post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, EC and DJan. I am sure most women who grew up in the fifties and sixties experienced such behavior from men, as you say, DJan. I am glad to hear well known men speaking up and telling the truth about themselves and how they never really thought of it, but now they see what women have gone through. Women never leave home alone that they don't think about how they should protect themselves if they are attacked or if some man comes on to them. A woman I know has always taken her dogs down to the lake alone and let them swim or walk in the woods. She was advised by a policeman that she should carry a gun with her. A man would not think needing a gun when he takes his dogs for a walk. Of course, I don't think there is any danger here of her being attacked, but women are always vulnerable to unwanted attention from men.
    I hope women will teach their sons to respect girls in school and not make remarks about their breasts, or other kinds of lewd remarks about them. I remember hearing boys in high school laugh and joke about a girl's looks. They don't care how much they hurt the girl or embarrass her. I do hope this is the beginning of a big change in our culture.
    Thank you both for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda:

    Just wanted to tell you what a great blog you wrote tonight! It is something we all need to rethink and come to grips with. Growing up I too saw this bad behavior practiced by men and certainly it has continued in too many places. Thanks for giving your personal examples. We all know similar stories. It is high time America came to terms with this terrible behavior and like you say, have men grow up and accept responsibility for their actions instead of treating such behavior as a type of joke!

    Love you Cuz,

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived with the sexist attitudes growing up in the late 50s, teenager in the 60s and beginning my career in the mid-70s. It was 'acceptable' in our society. I fought it tooth and nail, and many times was told I was 'over imaginative' when I tried to explain why the attitudes were not right. When I fought off a man grabbing my thighs, a driver's ed teacher trying to kiss me as he taught me to drive, a prospective employer asking me was I married, when would I begin a family, etc. etc. My hope is that now girls my granddaughter's age - those growing up now - won't have to believe that 'this is the way it is.' The "me too" phenomenon may make a difference. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am jolted and so disappointed to hear that Charlie Rose has been accused of sexual harassment. Not sweet Charlie who I have followed since long before he became famous on CBS Morning show. Like Gail, his co-worker on the morning show I can hardly bring myself to think of him being the same man the accusers say he is.
    He is one of my generation and I thought he had aged well and wonderfully because he is so intelligent and professional. I am hurt and upset that I can't see him on TV now. But, if those accusers are right, then he can't continue as he has before.

    What I want to know is: What about the 40 and 50 year old men who have done the same things? Will no one step up and name someone in that generation who has misbehaved?

    I think those girls were aware of what might happen if they lived in and worked in Rose's house. None of them were raped and I believe he thought one of them felt strong emotions for him. It seems he should have a hearing to answer some of these charges, but he has admitted to them, so I guess there is no reason to know what he thought. Many women say they would rather work for a man than a woman, but I have had women bosses and I was happy with them. In high school I worked in the summers -- for men who brought fear into my heart.
    They never harassed me sexually, but one of them yelled and hurt feelings if anyone made a mistake. I think the question that should be asked of twenty-somethings as they go into the world today, is this. How far are you willing to go to keep your job? Seems many of them would go to any length to get promoted or win favor with Charlie Rose, even pretending to like him and take his embarrassing actions without saying to him, "I don't like that. Please don't do that again." But young women just might not know what to say or do. We must educate the young to keep them safe from predators.



    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Roughwighting, for your comment. I don't believe there is a woman past the age of thirty who has not been touched or spoken to by a man in an inappropriate way. And I think most men have made those kinds of advances. That is why not many men are speaking up on the side of the woman. Most of them are guilty in a small way or a large way of the same behavior. I imagine that some men today are trying to figure out what they can and can't say. Maybe we do need education for those men just as we have classes about racism - what is offensive and what is not.

    When a man grows up in a culture where he sees the disrespectful behavior toward women as natural and accepted, he is ignorant to what he is doing wrong. Maybe the young men of today will learn a good lesson as the famous fall by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.