Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, February 12, 2023

A Week into Recovery

This was written last Wednesday.
Happy me. Surgery is done. 



Tomorrow will be one week since I had knee surgery.
Gay went to much trouble and expense to help me recover. I have had some swelling but not as much as I expected because Gay rented a machine that I wore on my leg day and night to keep it iced. A friend of Gay's had used it when she had a knee replacement. For two days and nights, I wore the wrap around my leg. It pushed cold water through the wrap for thirty minutes, then the cold water ran back into the machine until it was time to ice again. This way no one had to keep up with time to change ice packs and I could use ice all night and all day. I think it has made a huge difference in the swelling.

I must say that the pain from the actual surgery has not been as bad as I had thought it would be. However, on the weekend when I could not reach a doctor or nurse the chronic nerve pain in my legs and feet flared big time. My poor sister went through many hours of watching me suffer and feeling helpless because she couldn't help me. She gave me massages, managed my medicine, fed me, put on my shoes for me, shadowed every step I made with my walker, and did everything possible to ease my pain. On Monday she telephoned the doctors' offices and she got results. I am sure I would not have gotten the right person to talk to since I had tried on Friday but got the runaround. Being dopey on pain medicine also made it impossible to telephone and talk with medical personnel. 

I have seen in catalogs Tee Shirts that say something like, "Don't mess with me. You will be sorry because I have a sister." 

My niece, Lee, has been so helpful, too. She helps me with many things like setting up voice mail on my cell phone. She helped Gay by creating a medication schedule with times and doses so I didn't have to think about taking the pills and tablets I was prescribed for this recovery. Gay had it all down on paper. 

My dear sweet brother-in-law, Stu, shopped and brought groceries, picked up food from a restaurant, or picked up meds from the drug store. He even brought me a lovely bunch of tulips in bud. Now they are opening and look so pretty. 

I am grateful to have dear, caring, and loving family and friends. Just a few years ago I was having a pity party alone in my mountain home. COVID-19 had me isolated and fearful of going out to any place where people gathered. Isolated and alone day after day my sedentary lifestyle affected my health both mentally and physically.

But now I look forward to having a life again where I can participate in writing events, give readings, visit with my friends, and attend community gatherings. All the medical tests this past year prepared me for a new lifestyle. The knee surgery will make my life easier I think and hopefully, my energy level will increase with treatment. 

I finally have my apartment in Roswell set up and I find it very convenient. Lexie loves being here and Gay and Stu seem to enjoy her. Stu takes her for walks. I think she has filled some of the emptiness left after Smokie and Sunny died. When I move in for good I know I can be happy here. But I don't feel rushed. I look forward to spending time here and in the mountains. 

I  see changes on the horizon and I am ready for them. We must accept change and be able to adapt. I will look for the good in change and try not to hang on to my past except in my memories. 

Thanks for reading. I love your comments. When you comment as anonymous, don't forget to leave your first name with your comment. I like to respond to your comments and it helps when I know who is writing. 

Have a great week and embrace your challenges. As you overcome them, you grow stronger. 





1 comment:

  1. You are so fortunate to have a loving family with you to help with your recovery, Glenda. Your recovery is well underway by the sound of it.

    You will know when the time is right to make that move. I hope you can enjoy both locations for years to come.

    Take care, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.