Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Home sweet Home again

Here in the mountains again, I have been very busy.

I came home to find raccoons had trashed my deck garden on my upper deck. Pots of flowers were overturned and dirt was all over the floor. Add to that fall leaves had covered everything including my driveway which was completely hidden.


I began by cleaning up my deck but got little done because sweeping hurt my back so much I could not walk the next day. So the first couple of days home I spent on a cold pack just watching TV and reading.

Luckily I have recently found a dependable man to blow the leaves off my yard. He came within a few days. But today my driveway is covered again. Oh, the joys of having a home to take care of all by yourself.

I caught the raccoon up to his mischief the first night I was home. I sat in my chair where I can look out my double windows and there he came after dark walking along the railing heading for my deck. When he looked in and saw me, he stopped and just stared at me as if to say, "What are you doing here?"

I stood up and clapped my hands. He turned and rushed back the way he had come. But I think he was back last night. A fairly large pot was overturned this morning.

We have had a couple of freezing nights so my flowers are about gone. The coon is not after my flowers. He wants the grubs or bugs that are down in the soil.
Raccoons like to stay up all night. They sleep during daylight and most often they leave their dens soon after sunset and head straight for the nearest food source.

I learned about natural repellants I plan to try and hope that will end the night time raids.











2 comments:

  1. I hope you can discourage your visitor. Home maintenance is never ending even without pesky visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanka, EC.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.