Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, September 24, 2022

We attended a live theatre production of Alabama Story and it was great!


If you live in the area of north Atlanta, Roswell, Georgia, I urge you to see this play, Alabama Story, which will close on Sunday, September 25.

Georgia Ensemble Theatre does a fabulous job of making this story come to life. The small cast changed scenes while on stage. They held two scenes at the same time and it worked wonderfully! I haven't seen a theater production in a long time, but I am so glad I saw this one. 
The set was outstanding. The sound and lighting were absolutely professional and changed the mood when needed. We laughed at the outrageous language and behavior of the state senator who was determined to ban books that did not uphold the deeply entrenched role of segregation of races.

We saw how ridiculous it was for the senator to accuse the state librarian of choosing a children's story about a white rabbit and a black rabbit for the libraries of Alabama as a method to support the integration of blacks and whites in the south. Since this is banned book week, it was just the perfect time to see this play.
 
“I took from history the librarian, the state librarian from Alabama, Emily Reed, and the state senator who challenged her, who tried to get her fired as state librarian, who said to her face that this book should be burned,” said Kenneth Jones. 

Although I had eaten a large dinner and had been up since 5:00 AM, I made it through to the end without going to sleep, and am so glad I did. The setting is the 1950s when some in the south were looking for anything, no matter how innocent, to rant against and accuse of promoting the integration of the races. I was a young girl then, but I certainly remember that segregation was a huge topic of conversation in most homes at that time.


https://get.org/alabama-story/


4 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you went - and gladder that you enjoyed yourself so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, EC for your comment. It was a rare experience and thanks to my sister and BIL, I could attend and enjoy the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had tickets for the theatre in Charlottetown today and the hurricane interfered with those plans. Love the theatre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Marie, that you missed the play. Hope you had no hurricane damage.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.