Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, May 8, 2022

Happy Anniversary Party was party filled with love.

Gay and Stu in 2010

I could have danced all night, I could have danced all night...
Yes, a few years ago I could have danced all night, but Friday evening at the 50th-anniversary party for my sister, Gay, and her dear husband, Stu, I could not dance due to knee and hip problems, but everyone else did dance. The music was perfect for the different generations who attended. Guests arrived from many miles away - Chicago, Phoenix, Florida, and south Georgia - all to celebrate the long and happy marriage of these two beloved people.

As my readers know my family has gathered too often in the past few years for sad occasions. My brother's funeral this past February and the year before, in February, the service for his wife. 

What a joy it was to see Gay and Stu dance so beautifully to the song, Fascination. Their guests applauded as they watched the turns and graceful movements expected from a much younger couple.
Gay's dress was perfect for this dance. I hope to share a video soon.

 The older generation danced to the slower music, but as the night went on, the D.J. knew just the right music to get the younger generation on the floor. Seeing Susan's happy face as she left the dance floor brought warmth to my heart.  Her husband died too young. And she was too young to be left a widow with a son to raise alone. But she was beautiful last night as she made plans to have more fun in her life now. Another niece, a recent widow, had a good time, also, and I hope her future will brighten. 

Have you ever been in a room that was so filled with love that it seemed to permeate every inch of space amidst the enjoyment and laughter of those present? 
With many of Gay's family there and Stu's entire family who flew in from Chicago and distant lands, along with friends he grew up with from high school, from his work as public works director for the city of Roswell, Georgia, and so many others who know and love Gay and Stu, I delighted in meeting and talking with the most interesting people. One man, an 82-year-old pilot, once flew the biggest planes ever built. He invited me to come to his home and he would take me up in his plane.  Church friends didn't know their friends from work or other times and places in their lives, but before the night was over, they reached out and introduced themselves, all sharing their stories and history about the celebrated couple. 

Even the event coordinator said she had never seen such affection and happiness shared at a wedding or any other occasion. One of the waiters said he was brought to tears by the sincere words spoken that night.

I enjoyed sitting next to the pastor of Alpharetta Presbyterian Church, who I watch on TV each week. He is charismatic and has a great sense of humor. The renewal of the wedding vows was not so formal and was humorous at times with comments about their wedding in our family home in southwest Georgia fifty years ago. He reminded us all that after a short honeymoon, Stu, who was in the Navy, left for Guantanamo Bay. 
Fifty years ago, 1971, Stu and Gay were married in the living room of our family home.

Stu's nephew, Tom, gave a toast to the couple and did an outstanding job with the words written by Doug, Stu's brother who is dealing with health issues and could not speak. 
When we get photos taken at the party, I will share them on this blog. 

This is what I hope everyone who was at the party will remember: No matter your age, you can have a wonderful time and participate. People in their eighties can mingle with those under thirty and all have a great time. The only limitations are those in your mind. 






9 comments:

  1. EC, it was wonderful and I am so glad I was there. I left a comment on your blog, but it came up as anonymous. I tried to go back and comment so that my name was revealed, but could not do it. Guess I need some lessons on that. Did you do something new to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is blogger that is making life difficult. Sigh. I have changed nothing but some people cannot comment and other's have their identity stolen. I am sorry to hear that you have been affected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenda,

    It sounds like a wonderful party and you’ve written beautifully about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Marie. Words really could not express my feelings about that evening. But I am glad you thought I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment was emailed to me by a regular reader.
    "Glenda, you painted a beautiful image in my mind of close friends and family gathered to celebrate a wonderful couple; made my heart and my face smile. Thank you for sharing this sweet story with your readers. I am so looking forward to seeing the video and pictures when they are available." Linda C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glenda, this sounds like a fun party. Thank you for telling us about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abbie, thanks for your comment. It was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad Gay and Stu had a wonderful party. Sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brenda Kay, it was so much fun and a night I will never forget. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.