Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, October 31, 2021

Vacation in the City

I had a delightful week celebrating my birthday with my family in Roswell, Georgia

We didn’t cook except at breakfast and a couple of times we skipped that and went to J. Christopher's. I was taken out for dinner at Stoney River steak house where I had the most delicious prime rib. The waitress brought me a piece of chocolate birthday cake with chocolate icing. So good. I don’t eat like that often because I have diabetes and must watch my diet. But, we were celebrating!

One day my niece, Lee, and my sister, Gay and I spent a few hours at Chicken Salad Chick eating lunch and then just talking and having fun being together. Lee made a selfie of us.


Left to right: Glenda, Gay and Lee

Stu Moring at J. Christopher's restaurant on the patio


The apartment that will be mine to enjoy one day is slowly coming along. We tried to shop for overhead fans at Home Depot but were told we would do better going online and ordering what we wanted. Shopping is very different these days. No need to go to the store because the employees send you to their computer to find what you need.

As much as I enjoy being in the city with my sister, I am amazed at the traffic especially around three in the afternoon. She knows the times to be out and when to stay home, and I will need to learn when I am there for long periods of time.

Living in a rural area as I do, life is slower, and I am happy with it. However, it is great to have many restaurants to choose from. One of my favorites in Roswell is Slopes Bar-B-Que. They have great smoked pork sandwiches with a tasty sauce, but I also enjoy their vegetables cooked like most of us southerners like them. They also make delicious mac and cheese. (Barry said that was his favorite vegetable.)

When I order the black-eyed peas and collard greens, I also ask for corn muffins. This meal is almost as good as sitting at my mother’s table when I was growing up.

If one is lucky to be there at the right time, the owner of Slopes makes cheese biscuits that he passes around to everyone in the restaurant. They melt in your mouth.

Now my little vacation is over, and I must return to real life.

I will get my booster shot as soon as possible. I plan to meet with friends who are vaccinated and have them over to my house.

That will happen after the doctor visits that have to be made. A wellness check, eye exam, and injections for my bad knee are on the calendar. We must keep up with our routine medical appointments so we can continue doing the things we want to do.

I am grateful for the ability to drive my car, for friends who help me with things that I cannot do for myself. I am grateful that I can learn new things and that my curiosity keeps me interested in all that is going on in this big wide world. I am thankful that I have come to accept the changes in my life brought on by the pandemic and have resolved to listen to my body and take care of myself both physically and mentally.

My dear readers, I hope your week is full of fun and that your health is good.

Are you enjoying the fall colors if you have that season now? How about the cooler weather? I know some of you have had snow already. I hope we don’t have any for a while. I just want to enjoy autumn and get ready for the holidays.

 

 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. It was heart warming to read of your vacation with family. How wonderful to be able to enjoy life again after such lengthy isolation. It sounds like your time with your sister is good for the body and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have sun now after days of rain, so I'm going to take advantage of it. Glad also that you are taking care of yourself. Sending virtual hugs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, you are so right. My time with my sister is good for the body and the spirit. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, DJan for the hugs. We all need them these days, don't we? Glad you have sunshine again. We have had lots of rain lately, too. I hope the coming week will be sunny and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's wishing you a belated happy birthday. I'm glad you had a nice week with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Abbie. I enjoyed your being in my writing class. You are a bright ray of sunshine.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.