Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, August 24, 2021

A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT


Lexie loves to ride in the car. Looks like she is hiding here.



A day late and a dollar short. I heard this saying often when I was growing up. It means too late and too feeble to achieve the desired effect. That fits me right now.

I am a day late writing this post for my blog. Life has been very busy, but also trying at times lately.
I was in Roswell, Ga all last week, but I was busy or under the weather much of the time. Thankfully my physical problems have nothing to do with the pandemic, with this latest surge of COVID, although hospitals in my area are overflowing with patients and there are no rooms in the ICU for them. Ambulances must wait sometimes six hours at the hospitals because there are no beds for the sick. I can't imagine how awful it would be to have a heart attack or a stroke and have no access to the medical services in the area. Some have had to be airlifted to hospitals miles away.

But, I have much for which to be grateful. I am working with Gay and Stu to remodel their daylight basement which will be comfortable and is where I will stay when I go and visit them. This means I can stay there much longer than I do now. It means my little friend, Lexie, will not interfere with their lives as she and I will have our own bedroom, living, dining rooms with a nice large private bathroom.  The front door opens onto a covered deck that overlooks a pretty little lake. With wooded strips on both sides of the yard, I will have almost as much privacy as I do at my mountain house. And the wildlife is tremendous. I once saw a huge owl and deer come through every day. Birds come to the lake and light in the tall trees. Lexie will have her own yard and a pet door so she can come and go when she wants. 


If I ever sell my mountain house, I can move into that apartment to live permanently. This is a relief for me as I have been in limbo about my future. 

Now that I am in lockdown and dealing with isolation again, I think about how nice it will be to have my sister, my brother-in-law, and my niece and her family nearby. 

I am already packing things to take down there. We hope it will be finished by December. 

Last week we had a scare when my brother was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia
This is the second time this has happened since he survived COVID last year. He is a tough one. Back at home now, he is weak, but in good spirits. Perhaps his tough constitution and desire to live is why he is in his nineties now. 

September is slipping up on me too fast!
I will begin teaching a writing class on Zoom Monday, September 26. Those who are interested in taking my class, Writing Memories into True Life Stories, must register with the Institute of Continuing Learning. www.ICL/YHC.org I will teach six weeks, two hours each week, and the cost is only $20. We have such a good time in my classes and we all meet new people and make new friends. And everyone learns what they need to know to write about their lives. Because this class is on Zoom, anyone who has Internet and can get on Zoom will be able to participate. 

Visit my other site, www.glendacouncilbeall.com to learn more about what is happening for writers and poets in our area. 






6 comments:

  1. Some wonderful positive news in this post. Thank you - I needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your apartment at your sister’s home will be perfect for you to visit or to move to. It is wonderful to have such a great option when you are ready to move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That place sounds perfect for you and Lexie. I too hope it will be finished in good time. You are very fortunate to have such a great place, not only to stay in temporarily, but to move into when you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EC, I do my best to practice gratitude every day and I am fortunate to have good news to share. Hope all is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, as my friends and I look to the future, we are making decisions such as this one. Some are selling their homes and buying smaller places. Some are thinking about moving nearer their children. Ageing is not easy especially when one is alone. This pandemic has made it even more difficult. I am fortunate to have this option.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, DJan, for stopping by. I think this will be the best plan for my future and so happy Lexie can go with me. I still hope I can live in my mountain house for a long time and hope life will get back to some normalcy soon.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.