Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, July 12, 2021

Festival time in western North Carolina

Glenda Beall with writer Raven Chiong, new member of NCWN-West

This past weekend The Festival on the Square was held on the historic square of Hayesville, NC. Thousands of people attend this event each year, but everything was cancelled in 2020. The NC Writers' Network-West registered for a booth this year. Carroll S. Taylor and her husband, Hugh, volunteered to staff the booth, put up the tent and tables and take it all down on Sunday afternoon. They had a long, tiring weekend, but Carroll said she sold more books than at any other place she has signed books.


Carroll is a novelist with two young adult novels published. She recently published a picture book. Feannag, the Crow is filled with colorful illustrations by Doreyl Ammons Cain.

See more about Carroll at www.chinaberrysummer.com



Brenda Kay Ledford sits with Carroll in front of our banner. Visitors seem to take notice of the Books by Local Authors sign and wanted to take home one of our books. Brenda Kay also published a picture book recently and it, too, had colorful illustrations by Doreyl Ammons Cain



A larger photo of the booth with Brenda and Carroll at the front table.

I sat at the side table on Saturday and Sunday and enjoyed meeting people who stopped by. We wanted to show our presence in the community and encourage novice writers to join us and become a part of our group in western NC. We handed out our brochure with all our contact information and a form for joining NCWN. I expect to hear from folks who want to write and learn more about publishing.

We gave away a number of books and our anthology, Echoes Across the Blue Ridge, was popular with visitors from other states. They wanted to take home a book by western NC writers. This book is still for sale by contacting me.   www.pcncwnw@gmail.com 

I signed up to teach another writing class in September on Zoom. I will give more details later.
Hope you all had a great weekend. I am suffering a bit from sitting in that hard chair for hours, but tomorrow I will be fine again.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful and successful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, EC. I am paying for it today with pain and fatigue, but am glad I was able to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear you are in pain from that chair, but it was a wonderful gathering, it seems. You need to find another, better chair! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be fun to see other writers and greet readers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda, I'm glad you were able to sell books at the festival. I'm interested in taking your class in September. So, I look forward to further news about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, it was fun to be with our members as we have not had face-to-face meetings for over a year. I do enjoy meeting readers and learning about their favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abbie, it will be nice to have you in my class. I will be sure you get all the information.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.