Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, June 7, 2021

June is a special month for me.



It is the beginning of summer where I live. Everything is green, flowers are blooming, and it seems to be a time when most people are smiling. Perhaps the warm weather and water sports bring out happiness in those who enjoy the sun.

Downhome on the farm, this time of year, we cleaned out the swimming pool and my brother Rex got the filter going and the chlorine in again after it had been shut down all winter. Much of our family's social life centered around that pool once the weather was warm. The water was always cold. 

Barry could spend hours there on weekends floating in his favorite pool chair. When he was a teenager, he worked as a lifeguard at the Rockmart, Georgia swimming pool every summer. He loved the water.

I was not much of a water bug and was afraid of water most of my life. 
I blame my brothers who teased me and liked to scare me when I was a little kid. They took me out in a boat on one of the farm ponds and when they rowed up to the bank to get out, instead of lifting me out, they left me in the boat and pushed it back into the pond. Of course, I was afraid they were going to leave me so I did what any kid would do -- I jumped out of the boat trying to reach land. I immediately sank like a rock in the deep murky water.

I am sure my brothers didn't expect that to happen. One of them jumped in and rescued me quickly, but that fear stayed with me most of my life. I never learned to swim very well. However, I learned to water ski with my brother, Rex, driving the boat. I wore a life jacket so was not scared of drowning.
We spent many hours at Lake Blackshear in south Georgia as guests of the Booth family. I have some great memories of those days. 

The month of June is special to me because my sister, June, was born on the 25th, in Pelham, Georgia and my brother, Ray, was born in Rubonia, Florida on June 27th two years later. Not a day passes that I don't think of them and how much I miss them. 
June and Ray, my sister and brother at the family Christmas Party 

This month is also special to me because Barry and I married on June 14. I tell my students to list the turning points in their lives. That day was a huge turning point in my life.  

Today in my world here in the mountains of western North Carolina, I cherish my memories as I work in my deck garden.
I enjoy all the plants in their pots, blooming and growing while I celebrate summer with little Lexie helping me keep the pesky squirrel from digging and uprooting my hosta. 

A pair of Eastern Bluebirds came to my door

A pair of Eastern bluebirds spent one day fluttering at my door and windows. They wanted to come inside. I have a bluebird box in the yard but think I need to clean it out from the last hatching. Maybe I should get another birdhouse for the pair that seems desperate for a place to nest right now. So many birds live around my home and I enjoy watching them.

With all the bad weather in parts of the US, I know many people are suffering from floods and tornadoes. I am afraid that climate change is wreaking havoc in places that used to be fairly safe. Stay safe and well until we meet again. 








10 comments:

  1. I can well understand why June is such a precious month for you. Memories aplenty, packed with love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bluebirds are so beautiful. We don’t see them here.

    Great memories of your siblings. June is extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like June will always be a month of highs and lows for you. I enjoyed your post, and I am so glad that you learned to swim well enough to get back in the water after that trauma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your memories. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful memories of June. I'm so glad you have such beautiful scenery from your porch. The bluebirds and flowers and the lovely view of the mountains are sure to inspire many wonderful poems and stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EC, thanks for your comment. I am blessed with great memories and June is a special time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, thanks for stopping by my blog and reading about my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, DJan. Highs and lows, bittersweet, but June is a very special month in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Abbie. I appreciate your comments on my blog. I still have a problem commenting on your blog, even though I have a WordPress account. But, I often leave a comment on your FB page.
    You are always busy and seem happy. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Brenda Kay, nature inspires me in many ways. I have always loved being outdoors, but now I enjoy it from my deck or from my car when I am driving around this lovely part of our world.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.