Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, April 5, 2021

The End of Easter Weekend

Here I am at the end of an Easter Sunday in which I did nothing much but enjoyed the quiet and spring weather. 
For many years, Barry and I sang in the choir at church and I loved the music we sang for this special day in the Christian religion. 

Today I watched the Easter Service at the Alpharetta Presbyterian Church near Atlanta, Georgia where my sister and BIL are members. During the pandemic, all their services have been online and I watch them. 

When I was a small child, my sister and I had pretty new Easter Dresses every year along with Easter baskets with candy and colored eggs. When I was older, I awoke one Easter Sunday to find a big blue stuffed rabbit by my bed. I kept that bunny until I finished two years of college and slept with it every night.


Gay and I hunted Easter eggs in the backyard, and all the family gathered at Mother's and Daddy's house. I think of those happy times, and they make me smile. A friend and I were talking recently about how Easter today is far different from when we were kids. All the major holidays meant family gatherings. Now I have no family near me and with Barry gone, it seems no different from any other day except for the church service. Today was a good day to go grocery shopping because fewer people were there and it was a good excuse to get outside and enjoy the weather.

I was invited to travel down to Roswell, GA, and have dinner with family, but taking a trip means lots of trouble and planning, so I prefer to only go when I can stay awhile. I was gone for two months this winter and now, back at home, I find many, many chores on my to-do list. 

I hope my readers enjoyed this lovely holiday. I always think of Easter as a time of renewal and since it comes in spring, the season of renewal, it is the perfect holiday to me. Instead of thinking of what I miss, I think about how grateful I am for the life I have had, the people I loved, and who have loved me. I am grateful for my sweet little canine companion who makes me laugh and who loves me unconditionally, my car that still takes me where I want to go even with almost 200,000 miles on it, and I am grateful for my friends who all have special places in my heart. 

I look forward to seeing what tomorrow brings.




6 comments:

  1. Our Easter falls in Autumn - though the decorations all draw inspiration from Spring.
    I am glad that you and your faithful companion had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet, gentle post. I am so glad you had a lovely Easter day, as did I. It was sunny here but quite cold with a stiff wind, so I was underdressed outdoors and had to take awhile to recover, once I went back inside. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward with hope and joy and a lifetime of loving memories sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EC, I can't imagine all the holidays we celebrate here in the USA are different in Australia because of the seasons. But, I have never been to your world and I would love to visit there. I am watching another Australia series on TV. The Man from Snowy River, the McGregar saga. It is great escapism for me and I like the characters. Today I saw where one of my favorite actors, Hugh Jackman, has joined the cast. He was so young back then.
    I just don't like most of the modern American TV shows now, but can go to Australia and Canada and find shows I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi DJan. Today is wonderful here. I have open windows and doors and even my little dog is happy with it. I see rain will come back in a couple of days and through the weekend. So, I will find much in my house to keep me busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Marie. Yes, I am doing fine. Thanks for stopping in. I love your photos on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.