Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

The Haves and the Have Nots make for good reading

Years ago, I met Gene Vickers when he attended a writing class I taught. I remember him well because, just as the class was ending, Gene stood and addressed those who sat in the chairs. I had told them that my husband had very recently been diagnosed with cancer. 

Gene got the attention of the group and said, " I hope you all will pray for this lady. She is going to have a rough time ahead. She needs our prayers."

I didn't know the man, but was impressed that he thought of me and what I was going to face in the coming months. I did have a rough time for the next year while my husband, Barry, went through chemo and ended up in the hospital in Atlanta. He died soon after. 

A few years later, Gene contacted me and signed up for one of my classes at Writers Circle around the Table. It was his first writing class, and it was not his cup of tea. He was the only man present.

After the class ended, Gene asked if I would give him private lessons. I knew he had an active imagination and could write a short story with a moment's notice. There was no doubt he was a writer at heart. Like all successful writers, he just needed to learn the craft of writing. 

We went to work, and he tried to come to my studio once a week, but he has his own business and was sometimes working and unable to attend class. Gene was working on a book meant for his family, especially his grandchildren.  Eventually he took his manuscript to an editor who helped him with finishing touches to prepare for publishing. The book was printed, and I was proud of him and his determination to complete the work even when it was not easy for him as a first time author.




Now Gene Vickers has written and published his second novel, Amen and Amen. 
With this title, you might assume this is a book for the Christian Book Store, but this novel is about the human spirit, the difference in economic classes in our country and the pain caused by this. It is also about two teens from different backgrounds who fall in love and bridge the chasm. It is about high school boys who loved football, were fine athletes, but never tried out for the high school team. They knew how the system had always worked. They knew they would not be chosen because of where they lived and their economic standing in the town. It is about wealthy men who made sure their sons made the team, but were surprised when the coach did not let wealth and position dictate who played on his team. The characterization is good and the reader will be rooting for the underdog all the way.

There is no violence and vulgar language in this book. It is about people and their relationships. It is also about football, and followers of the sport will enjoy descriptions of the game and meeting the high school boys who play.

This is a feel good book, which I think is perfect for today. 
My brother, Max, read this book, and he said he didn't want to put it down. He really liked it.
Find the book on Amazon.com. 


 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you.
    I always root for the underdog and mourn for the many obstacles in their way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EC, I, too, root for the underdog in books, in movies and in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds like one I’d enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.