Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Writing Life Stories and teaching Memoir

I like to teach memoir writing and will be teaching an online class for the Institute of Continuing Learning, ICL, beginning July 13. 



I have been my family historian for years and have collected many stories about my ancestors and my immediate family. I have binders filled with family history and tons of stories on my computer. 
I published a family history book in 1998 and have used that book as a reference for other stories I have written. 
These are some of the things I teach my students about writing memoir:

Factual details paint the story's canvas. But the emotional truths comprise the story's soul.

Writing is Rewriting
Writing never comes out perfect the first time. Good writing means rewriting. Give yourself the time and space to rewrite material, until you have something that is an authentic expression of your life, voice and wisdom.

Get Support
Find a writing teacher, take writing classes, read what you want to write.
Find a writing friend or a group that will tell you the truth about your work.
A coach or writing teacher can guide and advise you, especially when you are not sure how to proceed.

Hold on to Your Vision
When you are stuck or discouraged, remember why you are doing this.
Is it to leave a legacy? To share your wisdom?
Think about how happy or touched others will feel after reading your memoir. Think about how your story will make a difference in their lives. Think about how satisfied you will feel completing it.

Hold on to your vision of completing your memoir.

The good thing about teaching classes on Zoom is you can take this class no matter where you live. I would love to have students who live far away from our mountains in North Georgia or Western North Carolina. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.