Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Eating at a restaurant for the first time since COVID-19

I have not been to a restaurant since the end of April, but tonight I had an early dinner on an outdoor patio with my family. I felt safe, although a large party of ten people came and sat at a table at least six feet from us. The staff at the restaurant wore masks and made me feel they were making our visit safe for us.


We arrived at 5:00 p.m. and left as a crowd of people came around 6:45. It was fun for the five of us to eat together and have the opportunity to chat. This restaurant has done a wonderful job of social distancing with large picnic tables spaced well on a grassy area where they can have a band playing. I don't know if this is what the medical people would consider safe for people like me, but at least this restaurant will be able to survive unless someone gets sick with COVID. 

I was concerned when the owner came over to speak to us. He did not wear a mask. The reason for my concern is that he is in close proximity to all the guests there, and he could easily be infected by one of them. If he contracted this illness tonight, his coming over to talk with us could have shed the virus on us.  I am assured I was very safe, and I believe I was, but I am leery of going out among people. I will not likely do it again soon.




8 comments:

  1. Our restaurants are slowly opening.
    I am in no hurry - particularly as masks are NOT commonly worn here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate out yesterday with a friend at lunch. Everything was very well space out, and even though it was lunchtime, it was very sparsely attended. I enjoyed myself and never felt unsafe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're fortunate to have people with whom you can eat out once in a while. I'm glad you had a positive experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abbie, my family lives two hours away, so I don't have anyone close to where I live that I feel safe going out with at this time.
    My sister and her husband and my niece and her husband are super careful about following the guidelines. I am grateful I can visit them once in a while. I hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been in a hurry to go out, EC, but here in the city I learned there were some places I would feel safe. We have such an abundance of Take Out available where I live in NC that I can eat most of the things I like by ordering ahead. Tonight we are having a meal from Olive Garden. I love their salad and breadsticks. I don't have that at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DJan, I am glad you found a place to eat that is safe for you. We have to use our common sense and make decisions about our safety out there.
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in Austin TX and in no hurry to go out. As much as I miss seeing friends and sharing a meal together, I'm in a higher risk category and honestly don't trust that people are taking the same care that I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Almost 75 percent of Americans are worried that we are opening up too soon and I am among that group. Fauci said Americans are not taking this virus seriously, but the virus is taking Americans very seriously. I was in Roswell GA this past week and everywhere I went I saw people huddled together in sidewalk cafes. None wore masks. They went in and out of restaurants in groups and wore no masks. The lack of consideration for others is scary and I feel I have to do what I can to protect myself. Stay safe, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.