Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Saturday, June 27, 2020

Words from Charlie Council in 1953

I am hooked on genealogy and often research members of my family. One day I came across this quote in a school yearbook. The writer is Charlie T. Council who was a principal, a lifelong educator who is in his nineties now. 

From the yearbook: The Sandspur 1953
Principal’s Message

The world and its conditions reflect the kind of life that inhabits it. Collective life is merely the sum total of our individual lives. The reason we have hardships is because someone is overstepping his rights and infringing on ours in this life. When we assert our “rights” to the detriment of others, we are adding to the misery of other people’s lives. We were put here to help each other.

Now, if all the people in the world would live to help others, then all of us would enjoy the same rights and privileges. This being true, each person should strive to be a Christian and a missionary. Christianity can best begin within one’s self, and mission can best be started at home. The sooner we correct our own lives the better that world will be as a result.
                                                            Sincerely,
                                                            Charlie T. Council

These words are especially significant today with the interest on social injustice in our country.
"When we assert our “rights” to the detriment of others, we are adding to the misery of other people’s lives. We were put here to help each other."

As we all struggle through the pandemic, our emotions, our anger and frustration cause us to turn inward to our suffering, our needs that are not being met. I know it is hard to think of others when we feel the chaos all around us. I have been guilty recently of having my little pity parties and wanting to strike out at someone, anyone, in order to vent my feelings. 

Reading Charlie's words gives me pause. Maybe we all can work on our own lives, think about others and what they are going through. Nurses, medical personnel, physical therapists, doctors and anyone who is out there everyday trying to take care of all of us, need our understanding if they are not their usual cheerful selves. 

I am trying hard not to be a grumpy old woman, and I am not the only one. Even the young ones are grumpy now. I have watched The Walton's today and realize that is what I need. I need to see loving people who are not committing a crime, blowing up anything, or fighting in some way. I don't need to watch the news channels which are very depressing.

With all the need for kindness and caring, what better way to immerse myself in it than watch Earl Hamner talk about his family and remember what a message that show gave to America. His parents were the same generation as my parents, and they had the same values and love of family. Wish we had more families and Television shows like that now.


2 comments:

  1. How I wish we heard more/talked more about responsibiliites when rights are raised. My parents talked MUCH more about responsibilities which I think is a key difference to the current discourse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that we need to think of our responsibility to others in every way we can, and consistent with our beliefs. Thanks for the lovely quote. I will read it again. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.