Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Friday, August 24, 2018

Diving into Genealogy again to write more family stories

As you know, if you are a regular reader of this blog, I have been researching my ancestors for about forty years. Lately, I have been frustrated because my computer program with all my data is obsolete, and I had to move it to a new program, Legacy. I have not had time to study this new program and transfer my files, so I am taking a class with Larry Van Horn, genealogist, who will teach beginners how to use Legacy, the state of the art computer program for genealogists.

See my post on Writers Circle - https://www.glendacouncilbeall.com/2018/08/the-genealogy-behind-our-family-stories.html#.W348P2e0WM8

Monteen Council Hayman and her daughter Beverly
Just recently the oldest member of my father's family died. She was over 100 years old. A lovely woman right up to the end and her brother, who is in his nineties, told me today that she had a peaceful passing. Her name was Monteen Council Hayman.

Like me, she was the historian in her family. She was the only girl with four brothers. In my book Profiles and Pedigrees, the Descendants of Thomas Charles Council (1858 - 1911), Monteen contributed the history of her family who settled in Palmetto, Florida in the 1920s. She explained in detail how her father raised the vegetables he sold. He was my father's oldest brother and Daddy loved him. Uncle Charley gave my father work during the depression when jobs were impossible to find. He rescued his sisters, Oleo and Annie, when they were widowed or left by unfaithful husbands. His home was open to those who needed him. His story is one of my favorites in the book.

It pleases me that I was able to collect the stories of my grandfather's family for future generations to see how they lived, survived actually, when times were very hard in this country. I look forward to going further back and learning more about my ancestors who lived in North Carolina in the 18th and 19th centuries and connecting to the first Council who came to this young country, to Jamestown VA, so long ago.

Stay with me, friends, and learn along with me.



2 comments:

  1. I'm not going anywhere! I look forward to seeing where you go from here. You are smart to take a class to learn that new program. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, DJan. I learned so much the first night. Now that I can get my data in Legacy I look forward to learning more. I had really planned to work on this Saturday and Sunday, but spent most of the time in bed fighting off nerve pain. I feel better tonight, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.