Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

How We Face Change Makes a Difference

Do not fear what may happen tomorrow. The same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you then and every day.  He will either shield you from suffering or will give you unfailing strength to bear it.                              St. Francis de Sales

This is an excerpt from a prayer sent to me when a loved one died. I think it is good to remember that when we have hardships, we can't blame ourselves, give up on ourselves, or become a victim, but look at them as changes in our lives that we must face and hope that we can accept these changes no matter how difficult, and move on to become stronger. 

We learn to find a way around the boulders in our path. We can't sit down on the trail and give up. We can't curl up and wait for someone to rescue us. A hard blow might knock us down, and we might need some time to get our breathe again, to focus on where we are headed, but while we hope for rescue, we work tirelessly to make our way through the pitfalls and over the walls that would imprison us. 

We aren't likely to learn much from being rescued by others. We learn from our own efforts to save ourselves, what works for us and what does not. Some say failures are necessary for us to be successful.

Changes in life will come, but we can adapt, and we must adapt to them if we want to live a fulfilling life.

When I was a teenager, I had an overwhelming fear that my mother would die. That stayed with me through adulthood. When she died at the age of 80, I still had that fear and thought I could not live without her in my life. Learning to go on was extremely difficult for me, but I did and grew stronger once I knew I could. Since her death and my father's death, I lost three brothers and one sister, people I dearly loved. I miss them every day. 

The hardest loss was the death of my husband in 2009. But I knew I had to go on living and somehow make a fulfilling life for myself. Accepting the many changes brought about by his death brought out the tiger in me. I could not and would not let his passing make me weak or needy. Anger filled me up and brought out negativity that I didn't realize lurked inside me. 

I turned to those who had been through my experience. I read blogs and books by people who had lost children, lost husbands and wives and those who had suffered other losses. Their pain was no different from mine. These writers had overcome their fury and accepted the difference in their lives. That was how I learned that change is not always easy, but when we accept that we can't return to what was, we can go on and make the best of our lives. We make new goals and find new purpose.

Do not look forward in fear to the changes in life; rather look to them with full hope as they arise.

The above is also from the prayer by St. Francis de Sales. Even if you are not a believer, these words hold true.

I found that the changes taking place in my health as I grow older depressed me and caused me to wonder if I could continue with my work - writing, teaching and leading our writers group. As I searched for answers from therapists, doctors and others, I felt like giving up. I feared I would become bedridden due to the pain I suffered every day.

However, I know that people must take responsibility for their health as well as all aspects of life. So I have not given up, but reached out to others for advice, researched methods of treating my problems, and now I look forward to teaching a writing class in March and hosting writers and poets at my studio in the coming year.  

Be at peace and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations.

Until next time, embrace the changes in your life, they are inevitable.



5 comments:

  1. Some of the changes in my life I don't precisely embrace - but I do accept them. And work with them. Slowly. With a stumble or six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, change is inevitable. And so is loss. I've had my share of it, and I realize that I always feel empathy for those going through such loss themselves. But nothing I can say will ease the pain, just knowing that we are fellow travelers on the path is the best balm to heal ourselves. And heal we will, if we allow it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope I did not sound callous about facing problems and overcoming them. I know there are serious health issues that can't be overcome, but even then we have hope that we can find a way to make life as good as possible.
    A blind student of mine inspires me not to give up. She developed childhood arthritis and had her first surgery at the age of five. Those surgeries continued throughout her life. Then she lost her eyesight. But she went to college and got her master's degree. She held a job and is now writing her memoir about her life.
    When I see her cheerful demeanor I feel guilty about complaining. She had to learn to accept the changes in her life and continue to move forward. That is what I tried to write about in my post.Thanks, DJan. You have felt the worst kind of loss, losing your children, but you have grown and become an inspiration to all of us who read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi EC,
    I am sure you have changes all the time you have to deal with. But you aren't letting MS rule your life, it seems. You are inspiring to me. I love to read your blog and see the fantastic photos you make and post. You bring joy to me with your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not callous at all. And thank you for your very generous response to my comment.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.