Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Thursday, March 19, 2020

JUST ONE PERSON IS ALL IT TAKES - SEE HOW IT IS DONE!

Coronavirus is just twenty miles away from me now. A woman came down from New York where the virus is rampant at this time. She attended a Contra Dance at the John C. Campbell Folk School. Now she has been diagnosed with Covid-19 and we have no idea how many people she exposed at that dance or the staff at the folk school.

I wish they had closed the doors there earlier, but so many in this area thought that if the president didn't think it was serious, it was crazy to take all these measures like avoiding large crowds. How long did it take for the government to finally say, stop gathering in groups? Remember it was said that this was just a Democratic Party hoax? I saw that on TV and was shocked. 

We should have been prepared and certainly prepared earlier than we were.
So, people kept having parties, going to dances, gathering in bars, and in businesses.  This is from my most recent post:

Some say there is no need to be concerned. They go about their business paying no attention to warnings to use sanitizer, practice social distances, wash their hands, etc. Even if someone is young and is not likely to die from this virus, he can spread the disease to others, to someone like me who is not young and doesn't have their immune system. The secret to stopping a disease such as COVID-19 is keeping it from spreading. But young people are still gathering at bars, drinking and dancing, and how many are spreading this virus that might seem to only be a cold?

I chastised a man I know on Facebook because he was making light of the seriousness of this virus. He didn't see why people should close their business since no one here had been diagnosed and besides, only old people were dying from this. I told him that I was one of the high risk people and my life was just as important to me as his was to him. Now, we see that ignoring the warnings has brought this deadly virus here to our area.

In my hometown two people died because someone from Atlanta came down there to a funeral. I imagine that those who died were older people. The carrier was sent back to an Atlanta hospital, but twenty-three people are sick in Albany, GA. Just one person can spread this virus and you don't know who that person might be. I have many family members in Albany, GA. Now I worry that they might carry it to my brother who is a high risk. 

Stay home. Self-isolate and enjoy some alone time, some quiet. Today I worked around my house doing things I have put off for a while. I edited a story by one of my students. I went to Walgreen's and picked up a prescription at the window, went to the ATM at the bank, and back home. I was not exposed to anyone and I used gloves and sanitized my hands after.

If I get sick with this virus, it won't be because I ignored the warnings. I hope all of you are obeying the rules, doing more than you are told to do to protect yourself.






3 comments:

  1. I am.
    And hope that your precautions have been sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my county, we have had 7 cases show up so far, with the first death at my local hospital yesterday. He was a man in his 60s. It's very scary! I am being as careful as I can, but I am still going outdoors in the wonderful weather. I'm keeping my distance from others, as prescribed. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every day more people are diagnosed and sometimes overnight the number is doubled. DJan, I like outdoors, too, and I go out in my car and find a nice empty spot to walk Lexie. In the big cities, they are having to close the parks so some people have no good place to walk. I am fortunate that I live in this rural area and can find many places.
    It seems more people now are following the guidelines. My town is so quiet and empty you would think everyone has left the area.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.