Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Another day at home alone because of Covid-19.

Today, March 27, was sunshine-filled, and I wanted to get out and do something outdoors. We have had rain, rain and more rain lately. It was a day for hiking, gardening and doing any kind of work outside. But I did not work outside.

Yesterday was a Computer Day.
I worked almost all day at my desk. And, I paid for it last night. Sitting too much or too long causes me such pain it is hard to sleep even after doing the stretches and exercises I am supposed to do. I need physical therapy, but can’t go now.
I have six students in my virtual writing class. I edit their work and give them instructions and comments that I hope they read and learn from. As the class proceeds, I can see what each student needs most. So they receive individual help according to what I see in their work.  We have a couple who are early beginners, and some who are about ready to publish. All of them continue to learn in my class. They are working on using dialogue in their stories, true and fictional. They are learning to use dialogue to show characterization. It is fun and interesting to read the great stories by these adult students.

I knew I had to get away from the computer, so today I cooked.
I decided to make something I could eat on for several days and use what I had in my house. One of my favorite dishes is my New Year’s Eve Black-Eyed peas. Using dried peas, I bring them to a boil for two minutes, soak them for about two hours, drain them and put them in my crock pot. Cover all with half chicken broth and half water. I add a chopped onion, half a green pepper, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until the peas are soft. 

I have been thinking for several days that I wished I had some Brunswick stew, a mix of meats, tomatoes, and vegetables. I didn’t have the canned meat on hand, so I ordered one half pound of cooked chopped pork and a half barbecued chicken from Rib Country, a great Bar-B-Q restaurant. They are now offering take out, so I called in my order and about fifteen minutes later picked it up without leaving my car. (I sanitized everything before taking inside)

I had enough pork to make a sandwich and still have plenty left. Soooo good! I love barbecue pork sandwiches. 

Next I gathered what I could find that would complete my dish. I had two cans of chopped tomatoes, an onion, catsup, barbecue sauce that came with the meat, Worcester sauce, and Tabasco sauce. I didn’t have any canned corn which the recipe calls for, but I had frozen corn. I poured out about a half cup, thawed it in the microwave, and found left over lima beans in my fridge. All of it went into the stew and boy, is it good! Lexie smelled it cooking and began begging for a bowl. Naturally, I shared with her.

This set me to thinking about my mother when I was a little girl. She did not have easy access to a super market like we have today. She bought groceries once a week at the local store, but she could always create a good meal from what she had in the kitchen. She made biscuits or cornbread for every meal. We always had eggs and milk because we lived on a farm. At times she would make gravy with eggs when she didn’t have enough for each of us to have one. The gravy over those wonderful hot biscuits along with some bacon or sausage was more than enough to fill the stomachs of her children and make everyone happy.

Perhaps at times like these when we can’t always have what we take for granted, it is good to see if we can do with less. I am going to try to make my last two rolls of paper towels last twice as long as I have in the past. Mother didn’t even have paper towels when I was a kid. I am going back to the old cookbooks from the early sixties when casseroles were in fashion. Those recipes were delicious and only called for few items.

I am ashamed that I am often wasteful, especially with paper goods. When I think of countries where people have no running water, no stove, and no bathroom, I want to cry. 

At this time, maybe we all can be more mindful of doing with what we have. We can do it. I know I can. But I will be very happy when this crisis is behind us and things are back to normal again. I wonder, will our normal ever be the same?

7 comments:

  1. I am hoping that our new normal is NOT the same. I hope that we remember that getting by with less is not only possible, but better for the environment (and our wallets). And I long for this pandemic to be replaced with a pandemic of kindness.
    That said, today I am feeling bereft. My age and my chronic illness means that I can no longer do shifts on the crisis line - at a time when so many people are crying out for assistance.
    This too will pass.
    Enjoy your dinner(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder, too, what our new normal will look like once this is behind us. I loved the description of your tasty dishes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear EC - I understand that you are bereft. You are so important to people who are suffering and need you. I wish you could work from home with the crisis line. Surely someone could make that happen. I am listening to public radio today talking about the mental health of people who have lost loved ones during this time and how cancer patients must stop chemo because it weakens their immune system. So many things are happening behind what we see on TV. We will have long lasting effects, and I, too, hope the changes will be for the good. May I quote your first paragraph on my other blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks DJan. Wish you could come have some stew with me. But I hope you are finding things to do at home that feeds your need for exercise and adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you can quote me.
    Explorations are being made into taking crisis calls from home. It is fraught with problems though. I do hope that a workable system can be reached. There are often functions that I can (and do) continue from home, but the calls to the crisis line are increasing exponentially.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've enjoyed your posts about this troubling time. I too have wondered if our normal will be different when we come out on the other side of this. I have a hard time thinking it will be the same. I know it won't be for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glenda, this pandemic is also bringing out the best of our survival tactics. Didn't all our moms make most of what they had? Your description of hot gravy over biscuits with bacon and sausage has given me a idea for tomorrow's menu. Thanks a ton! I'm sure the pandemic will also teach the human race to make wiser decisions.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.