Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, February 2, 2020

A Forced Week of Rest

For a week now, I have been "a shut-in" with an upper respiratory infection. After three days of feeling miserable, I went to see a doctor who prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic and today I feel it is working.

What to do when you feel too bad to work, to even wash dishes or cook?
I slept and binge watched TV. More great series made in New Zealand, Australia, Nova Scotia, and I fell in love with all of them. The language and gentle people in these series are just what I need to help me relax and de-stress.

I don't like most of the American TV now. A few regular shows I record, like The Resident, New Amsterdam, Grey's Anatomy, Blue Bloods and Masterpiece Theater, but I dislike crime shows and sci-fi programs. I don't care for today's comedies and really can't stand reality shows. 

I have completely quit all the News channels except PBS and I don't watch that every day. This is all part of my new life style. I want to do more things I enjoy, things that bring me joy. I began reading Little Women for the umptenth time and started researching Louisa May Alcott. That book and the movie made in the late forties had a big influence on my life. June Allyson played Jo March and I fell in love with both of them.

I wrote a poem this past week, and felt like making some changes in my house -- moving pictures from one room to another, putting away some things that have been taking space for a long time, making notes for future writing projects, and worked on scheduling NCWN-West readings for the year. All this between long naps and watching TV. 

Monday I will rejoin the outside world.


4 comments:

  1. Take care of yourself and rejoin the world ONLY when you are ready. And please, please make sure that you do so on your own terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, EC. I have plans for Monday, but today felt worse because I didn't get much sleep last night. Yes, I will not be pushed into doing more than I am ready for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you didn't sleep well. That gives you the perfect excuse to take it totally easy today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading about what you did while you were resting. It sounds like you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.