Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Monday, July 22, 2019

Got any immigrants in your family?

I want to share a post I wrote earlier about Immigrants and my family.

When I hear that ugly chant, "Send her home", I remember those words used about black people in south Georgia during the Civil Rights Movement.
I wanted to say to those who said such things, "You didn't want them to leave as long as you had them for slaves, but now that they are looking for a better life, you tell them to go back to Africa."

It breaks my heart when I see and hear young men and women tell about their fear that they will be sent to a county with people they don't even know because they were born here, went to school here and are working here. Decent leaders in government can certainly find a way to fix this problem. That is what I hope will happen when we have a new president in office.

Having a free country means we can complain about it and criticize it if we don't think it is doing the best for all the people. If we lived in certain countries we might have our heads cut off for questioning the government, but in the United States of America, we are not bad people when we question, we are simply wanting this great country to be better than it is, to serve all our people, not just those who make the most money. Don't say those dark skinned women in Congress don't love this country just because they see things that are wrong. I also see many things that are wrong in this country and I have been here a long time. My family has been here a long time.

You can read my post on immigrants and my family here.

5 comments:

  1. I am the first Australian born member of my family.
    Striving to be better, and questioning the status quo are positives in my book.
    My heart breaks when I see the self-serving utterances of your president, and sadly some of our politicians as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I am afraid for my country when we start down this road of xenophobia. I am doing what I can in my own life, and at the ballot box. And I give money to Democrats. I wish there were more I could do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi EC, where did your parents originate? Were they English? In studying my personality traits, I see I have a built in DNA for acceptance of others and a curiosity about everything. I suppose there are those who have a far different DNA composition that sets them against anyone or anything different from themselves.
    I agree. We must question the status quo or we could be dominated by a dictator. We must always stand for open hearts and minds, and asking the hard questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, DJan, it is so hard to feel that we can do nothing about what is happening to our country. I see the media playing right into Trump's hands again. They give him free coverage all day long. Why? He says he hates the media, but he plays them like a drum, saying outlandish things so the reporters flock to ask him questions. Then his face is all over the news channels day and night.
    I have stopped looking at TV news shows unless it is BBC or the News Hour on Public Broadcasting. I used to watch all the Sunday morning news, but not now. I don't want to watch the same disasters over and over and seeing politics over and over is just as bad for my brain. I gotta keep my mind working and watching all the bad stuff in the world stresses my brain too much. Women don't deal with stress the same way men do. Stress makes women sick and causes early death in us. So, I am concentrating on educating myself with other things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother and my brothers (half) came from England, my father from Germany.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.