Words from a Reader

The “Writing Life Stories” e-mails I receive are such treasures. As soon as I see there is one in my inbox, I read it immediately. I look forward to them and never know how they will touch me. They can be interesting, informative, humorous, and/or touching.

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Taking ME time

We will be more successful in all our endeavors if we can let go of the habit of running all the time, and take little pauses to relax and re-center ourselves. And we'll also have a lot more joy in living. —Thich Nhat Hanh   
I read this on DJan's blog and felt it was meant for me at this time.


My husband was the greatest at taking time to relax and not feel guilty that he was not busy. Every afternoon he poured a glass of wine and took his pipe to the deck for an hour or so of just enjoying having no pressure or responsibility. 

I am finding my own methods of taking ME time and enjoying no pressure or responsibility -- at least for a short time. 

Today was wonderful! I worked in my studio for a couple of hours, and then I read and listened to some of my favorite music. With my Echo Dot, I can ask Alexa to play just what I want to hear. This thing is much more convenient and enjoyable than I thought it would be. I can ask it to play my favorite podcasts or read my current Audible book.

Tonight I worked on genealogy which I plan to do more of in the coming months. When I get into family history, I get lost in time as if I were working on a puzzle. It is far more relaxing than one would think and, like a game, I usually discover something new to further my research. 

I plan to get my studio de-cluttered in the coming months. With my job with NCWN-West, my work with Writers Circle around the Table, and my own projects like marketing my books and keeping up with my paper work as well as trying to do some writing, I just had too much going on in one space. 

So, I look forward to taking time for myself and doing just what I want to do when I want to do it. I plan to sit on my deck and watch the hummingbirds sip from my flowers. I am enjoying a pair of cardinals that come to my feeder.



I will learn to be lazy. That will be a chore for my mind because it won't slow down. I have been called "the idea person" and I suppose I am, but I hope to get better at meditation and mind control. I keep practicing and I think I am getting better.

In addition to boosting creativity (and being a generally enjoyable activity), daydreaming can actually make you smarter.

How about you, my faithful readers? Do you have trouble taking time for yourself, taking time to relax and not feel guilty about the things that need to be done? 

See you here next week.





4 comments:

  1. I find myself in contemplation much more often these days. I need time to myself, time to think rather than be involved in conversation. Not that I mind it, but just not all the time. I enjoy thinking about ME time, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel guilty while I take time out. But take it nonetheless. It has become an essential. Hopefully some day I will be able to kick guilt to the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually excited about having more time for myself in the coming months. I only have one class planned at my studio for the summer and that is in August. As we get to a certain age we can slow down and not be striving to reach certain goals or prove ourselves worthy. I know I am worthy and I don't need anyone's approval now. I look forward to having more ME time and I know you do, too. Let's kick guilt to the curb as EC says and take time to do only what we want to do. I just made me a hot chocolate and now I will watch some TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it's so important to take time out for ourselves. Good for you, Glenda.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments, and I love reading what you say.